part p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my mates started a loft conversion before xmas and had the building inspector out to tell him he could start the job, he s now aware of part p and was right for getting a spark out who is in the prosses of getting registered, my mate was gonna do it himself until he found out about part p off me, goin off what ive read. the building inspector came today and says because the job started before jan 1st he doesnt need it, but i thought it needed to be finished by the end of march. now hes thinking he can do it himself, has the inspector made a mistake or can he go ahead and do it.

Sponsored Links
if it was started last year, you have til the end of april to complete it

ive got to disagree there, as far as i know, and been informed it was march the 27th for contracts agreed before january first 05 to be completed :cry:

Sponsored Links
i was always told it was the end of april?

i might be wrong, if its end of april its better for me, im not registered yet :LOL:

Get it in writing from the Buliding Inspector - then, even if the Inspector is wrong, it wouldn't matter, because that would be the advise/opinion of the Inspector who should be the final arbiter on such matters anyway!

andrew2022 said:
if it was started last year, you have til the end of april to complete it

Don't know why you think that, or who has "always" told you that.

It's trivially easy to check - just RTFSI:

(6) In relation to building work of a description added to Schedule 2A by regulation 2(10) (installation of fixed low or extra-low voltage electrical installations in dwellings) where the contract for the work is entered into before 1st January 2005 and the work is completed before 1st April 2005, the principal Regulations shall continue to apply to that building work as if the amendments made by regulation 2(8) had not been made.

SwindonSpark said:
Don't you just love the use of a neon screwdriver? Dodgy as a test instrument, and with a blade too small to use on socket terminal screws.

I'm also not very impressed by the way this socket has been installed so close to that very deep skirting that some moulded plugs and wall-warts probably won't go in.

Bl**dy "professionals".... ;) - Here's another good one:

jtl%20rebeccafloortexta.jpg

Ah - endless amusement - from http://www.amicustheunion.org/main.asp?page=1054:

"Amicus believe that a government rethink is needed on Part P to drive out the cowboys once and for all."

Absolutely - we wouldn't want cowboys doing dodgy stuff like notching joists, would we.....

Glad I'll finish the Ma in laws shower this weekend before its 1st April 2005 (all fools day ) ;)
My 'puter telling me it's 20th april 2004, and we all know computers are never wrong, it's the eejit pushing the buttons !!!

Scoby,
I predict that as part P begins to bite over the years we'll see more and more work come to light in red and black that was done in 2003 and late 2004, after the rules had been announced but not implimented, and a remarkable volume of otherwise notifiable works done in the new colours that was just completed before april first 2005.

I think we understand each other.

(or should that be "you might think that - you might very Well think that. I could not possibly comment.")

As an aside I know of a number (>10) of garages and lofts with part reels of cables of various gauges and date stamps, all kept warm and dry in suitable dark plastic to prevent UV damage and rodent attack, purely laid down to to allow just such anachronistic work to take place. It may be the moral turpitude of the class of people I hang round with, or it may be the representative picture up and down the land, I can't tell.

what do you define as starting work?...and how do you notify of intention to start work prior to dec?
i fitted the shower tray in Nov but never actually installed the shower till last month.
does this require notifying?.... and how willthey know in three years time when it was installed if i 'lose' the receipts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back