Part Qualified (struggling)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone out there know of any firms or one man bands looking to take on someone who is part qualified, fully qualified in June 2006 & 16th Edition Cert April 2006. Hope i`m not breaking any rules posting this, apologies if i am, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do! Thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
Let`s start a scheme of unassessed incompetent electricians etc and charge £ 10 per year to register.
LOL - Tongue in cheek.
Seriously I was talking to a heating engineer the other day (plumber & gas bloke of many years standing)
He said (reffering to GORGI I admit but I think the same ethos applies to us).
" The only ones who`s being policed are the blokes (and lasses) who want to do it right anyway."
I think He had a valid point

Another point to query.
My assessor has passed me competent to self certify.
However if he himself wants to do electrical work in His own home then He must (Should) go thru LABC or get me to do it.
QUIRK or what

Could`nt agree more, and that is why the people who are doing things by the book and using their test equipment and charging accordingly for making sure that someones family will not die from an electrical fire, will lose work to those who do`nt and charge less. Forgive me if i`m wrong, but i have not spent the last three years at college and probably another year for my C&G2391 and NVQ3, to go and work for less than £10.00 an hour :evil:

Take a look at the NICEIC website, you can purchase pretty little A3 cards (or print of yourself) a cute little piece of information Re Earthing and bonding.
Next time you look at a job in somebodys house and try to explain that you cannot do anything unless the main equipotential bonding/earthing etc is satisfactory before you do anything else(and you get "the look", this git`s trying to rip me off!!!). You can present this little beauty that explains reality !!!!!!!!!!.

Sponsored Links
I've got to comment on this as it makes my blood boil!!!

I don't know how may other sparks on here were already members of the NIC/ECA when Part P was introduced, but they made us apply for Part P seperaly, even though we had been certified for years. Now we've got another pretty logo for the vans and we have to buy Part Frigging P test certificates when a normal installation certificate is better!

As we don't do much domestic work, we were not going to bother until we realised that although all of our engineers were qualified, they, like your NIC chap they could not work in their own frigging homes!!!

It gets worse. During our last inspection, because we did not have any Part P work to inspect, they were going to take away our registration!

We've since re-wired my shed so next time they come round we now have a Part P job to look at!

In 2007 the domestic work bond comes in....who's going to pay for this?

Whats domestic work bond (is it an insurance guarantee thingy)?

It's basically an insurance backed warrantee that all Part Domestic installers will have to offer to their customers. It was going to be introduce Jan 1st this year but there have been some delays

Quote from Issue 156 NIC Connections Mag page 31

"All Part P scheme operators are required by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister to make arrangements for such a warranty to be offered by their registrants to Customers"

According to the article Quote " The NIC will be writing to all Domestic Installers as soon as possible to explain what arrangements have been put in place and what action, if any they need to take"

It looks like we are all going to add Insurance salesman to our portfolio, I hope we all get commission!

Apparently the idea of domestic installers providing the warranty themselves has been scrapped.
Something along the lines of not expecting electrical companies to become insurance companies as well.
I believe the warranty is now going to be offered to the customer (for an additional cost) if they wish to take it out via the likes of which ever scheme you are registerd with.
So if you are with the NIC, when they send the part P certificate out, enclosed will be information for the customer regarding the optional warranty.

So if you are with the NIC, when they send the part P certificate out, enclosed will be information for the customer regarding the optional warranty.

From the wording in the article, I think you are right and it should not affect us, except when the claims start going in. You know what some customers are like "something for nothing, yes please"

I thought the idea of Part P was to regulate the competency of installers so now they have done that, I can't see why our customers need a warrantee? Could it be another just another money spinner and if it is, we should get some of the commission on the policy sale as you can bet your sweet bottom dollar the regulators will get a cut.

rhino36 said:
Could`nt agree more, and that is why the people who are doing things by the book and using their test equipment and charging accordingly for making sure that someones family will not die from an electrical fire, will lose work to those who do`nt and charge less. Forgive me if i`m wrong, but i have not spent the last three years at college and probably another year for my C&G2391 and NVQ3, to go and work for less than £10.00 an hour :evil:

Go self-employed, get yourself a van, have the mileage tax deductable and you'll be paying no tax before long if you put in enough quotes. If you can still turnover £20k in your first year (tax free) that'll be the equivalent of nearer £27k and in your first year, first job. Soon boost your hourly rate and in year 2 you'll be making above average national wages. I don't really get why you're complaining?

:cool:

bpowell555 said:
rhino36 said:

Go self-employed, get yourself a van, have the mileage tax deductable and you'll be paying no tax before long if you put in enough quotes. If you can still turnover £20k in your first year (tax free) that'll be the equivalent of nearer £27k and in your first year, first job. Soon boost your hourly rate and in year 2 you'll be making above average national wages. I don't really get why you're complaining?

:cool:

and to think that some bloke said to me that sparks are on £25 an hour minimum!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back