Parthenon Marbles

Nonsense.
The Commonwealth is still intact as far as i know and the French can have Calais for all the use it is to us.
What difference did it make when we gave it back?
Maybe it is time for Elgin's marbles to be returned - would it make any difference to the BM?
Don't confuse the empire with the commonwealth. Calais and the Falklands were both seized by us hundreds of years ago. Is there a need to hang on to the latter, if there is no strategic or financial/resource based reason? If we still had Calais the asylum argument would have strange results. Sell or sell and leaseback the Falklands.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Don't confuse the empire with the commonwealth. Calais and the Falklands were both seized by us hundreds of years ago. Is there a need to hang on to the latter, if there is no strategic or financial/resource based reason? If we still had Calais the asylum argument would have strange results. Sell or sell and leaseback the Falklands.

Blup
I don't agree with the Falklands being sold.
The money would go into a privateer (a friend of some Tory). ferry company (with no ships).

I don't agree with the Falklands being sold.
The money would go into a privateer (a friend of some Tory). ferry company (with no ships).
Sale and lease back, it was mooted by Jim Callaghan back in the 70's.

Blup

Someone on Twitter pointed out that it would be cheaper for them to get on a plane from Manchester to Athens, than it would to get a train to London to see them.

Sponsored Links
Sale and lease back, it was mooted by Jim Callaghan back in the 70's.

Blup
Sorry, I was being frivolous. I have no objection to the sale of the Flaklands (Freudian slip) Falklands.

'spectacularly unwise'...says a brexer Tory.

Well there's a positive endorsement for our King Charles, if ever I saw one. I'm pretty sure Charles and his opinion will have greater credibility and durability than a lying old Tory brexer.

Technically the BM cold give the marbles to Greece "on loan". Probably more Brits would see it on holiday in Greece than here.

Blup

Technically the BM cold give the marbles to Greece "on loan". Probably more Brits would see it on holiday in Greece than here.

Blup
Technically, our government can set the laws. Or in Boris's case, just simply ignore them.

"Loan"??!!? - pathetic. they'd never leave Greece again.

Copy them really well, and nobody would know the difference. Then give the originals back

"Loan"??!!? - pathetic. they'd never leave Greece again.

Copy them really well, and nobody would know the difference. Then give the originals back
It was george osborne who mooted it as a possibility, in his capacity as chair of the BM trustees. With their recent record on theft, the marbles wouldn't have to leave the country to get stolen though.

Blup

Greece is prepared to part with some of its greatest treasures to “fill the void” at the British Museum if the Parthenon marbles were reunited in Athens, the country’s culture minister has said. “Our position is clear,” she said. “Should the sculptures be reunited in Athens, Greece is prepared to organise rotating exhibitions of important antiquities that would fill the void.”

Since the idea of a cultural exchange was mooted, soon after the centre-right New Democracy party of the prime minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, won power in 2019, speculation has been rife that treasures including Agamemnon’s Mask – the gold funerary mask described by some historians as the “Mona Lisa of prehistory” – could be sent to Britain in return for the marbles.

It's all Greek to me@the Gurandia

Mask-of-Agamemnon.jpg

Almost certainly not the face of Agamemnon but a worthy replacement for those lumps of marble?

Greece is prepared to part with some of its greatest treasures to “fill the void” at the British Museum if the Parthenon marbles were reunited in Athens, the country’s culture minister has said. “Our position is clear,” she said. “Should the sculptures be reunited in Athens, Greece is prepared to organise rotating exhibitions of important antiquities that would fill the void.”

Since the idea of a cultural exchange was mooted, soon after the centre-right New Democracy party of the prime minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, won power in 2019, speculation has been rife that treasures including Agamemnon’s Mask – the gold funerary mask described by some historians as the “Mona Lisa of prehistory” – could be sent to Britain in return for the marbles.

It's all Greek to me@the Gurandia

Mask-of-Agamemnon.jpg

Almost certainly not the face of Agamemnon but a worthy replacement for those lumps of marble?
Looks like King Charles

Sponsored Links
Back