Partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at building a stud wall to split one bedroom into 2. (In order to split up my 2 girls)

I realise that one of the rooms will not conform to building regs as it will not have its own independent natural light source, or ventilation (although there is an air brich that vents into the chimney breast, there are no gas/alt fuel fires downstairs). Neither at this time will it have it's own radiator, but that should not pose a problem.

The room at the moment is approx 5 meters in length and 2 meters wide, and I plan to split it in half so making 2 rooms of 2.5m x2m.

One room will have the window and radiator, the other will have neither atm. the other room is boundaried by the new stud wall, 2 existing stud walls and the joining wall with next door.

2 questions.

1) is there any easy way of bringing this room up to standard so that it confirms to building regs.

2) if I built this room and kept it hush hush, would it affect me when I come to remortgage this time next year? i.e. survey/valuation.

Sponsored Links
It may not effect the remortgage, but may effect any future insurance claims.

You are really proposing to put one of the girls in a cupboard. No natural light is a very bad thing for her wellbeing, and a vent in the chimney is certainly not enough.

You should also consider how she will get out, if there was a fire late at night on the other side of the door. Don't think that it will never happen

I would not give you advice how to do the conversion, as if there can be no window then the advice has to be don't do it. Look for other solutions or move house.

The room at the moment is approx 5 meters in length and 2 meters wide, and I plan to split it in half so making 2 rooms of 2.5m x2m.

My study where I’m writing this is bigger than that! :eek: It’s a lousy idea, forget it; its way too small & almost breaches human rights let alone Building regs. I’m not even sure you will actually be able to get a single bed in & shut the door!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back