Parts For SpaceStar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SpaceStar is potentially facing the end...

Shocks all round were on the advisory last year.

Plus a corroded exhaust mount.

It has a headlight wiring fault on the offside, plus a misfire issue that is raising an engine warning light.

It needs a service and brakes looking at.

I was ringing a Mitsubishi dealer for part numbers for the shocks and a pollen filter.

The pollen filters and rear shocks are no longer available.

There are after-market shocks available, but they are more expensive!

I have seen some pollen filters at ECP that look like they have been assembled by monkeys out of cotton wool.

I'd just like a decent brand.

I have seen Comline on eBay: are they good?

IIRC, Rob and Chris at Salvage Rebuilds UK use them, so I guess they can't be too bad.

BTW, go check them out, they are very good!

The Mitsub part number for the pollen filter is XZ311916 (no A/C).

The part number on eBay is EKF 293.

Sponsored Links
Screenshot_20231121-135957.png

I vacuum my pollen filter once a long while. Never had any problems with it. What causes you to want a good quality one?
Because I'm 99.9% sure that it has never been changed. That would make it stuffed with nearly 21 years of detritus....

Thanks for the eBay tip.

Sponsored Links
There isn’t anything in the Advisories to panic about.....so long as the shocks aren’t leaking or showing real damage they should be ok - likewise the exhaust mount.
Motor factors can often supply non genuine import parts so nothing to panic about there.
Comline stuff is fine - there may not be a huge choice for this car anyway and any pollen filter will do.
John

Thanks, guys.

Perhaps it won't be as expensive as I fear, then.

As long as the electrical faults are not ££££s....

To come out and fix the headlights, including supplying a lamp on the offside, the auto-electrician charged me £70.

I fell foul of the bulb/ lamp confusion. I asked him over WhatsApp if he could fit a new pair of lamps for me. He said he didn't have time. When we talked after he had fixed the headlights, he thought I had meant whole new headlight units...

I told him I was an electrician and we were taught that the glass part was the bulb and the whole was called a lamp. He thought that was hilarious....

He didn't have time to look at the misfire, but reckoned changing the coil pack (there are two and one had already been changed) and the HT leads would sort it, but he wasn't confident that it sort the rev counter.

Others have talked about swapping all the ignition components: dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads, plugs and coil packs.

But I'm not sure if the best approach is to fire the parts cannon at it....

The car passed its MoT, but now we have to weigh up the cost of repairs.

As well as the below, it needs a good service and the ignition problem looking at, plus I still haven't got round to fixing the wipers yet. They pass the MoT, but they are dreadfully sloppy. Never known any others like it.

Screenshot_20231130-114210.png

Just weighing up the costs now....

Had estimates for the brakes. Anything between £550 and £715.

Service will be £170 plus fuel and cabin filters.

Sills will be £300 for welding or less for anti corrosion treatment.

Misfire will need replacement coil pack and HT leads.

Wipers. Still haven't got round to fixing them, but having had a look, I think it might be a bit beyond me. The spindles are worn and slop about, the blade smacks the driver's pillar and they park too high. It's a nightmare to be in when it's raining, as the constant snack...smack...smack...smack does your head in good and proppa. I think I need to fit a replacement set of parts.

The trouble, as I've mentioned before, is that one is limited to second hand parts and it's more luck than judgement that you'd end up with parts that are less worn than yours....

I wonder how thin the pads actually are......!
Nothing there to worry you apart from the chassis welding, but you’ll need second hand bits for the wipers.
Of course, you now have another year on the tarmac so maybe you could consider the cars future this time next year?
I guess it all depends on how much you wish to keep the vehicle.
John

The corrosion can't be too bad if they are suggesting treatment instead of welding.

Brakes are wearing parts, might be needed on any replacement car too.

Wipers, probably needs 2nd hand parts or using some bodge clips to take up the slack

Found some wiper parts on eBay. Might ask one of our local garages if they will fit them and how much it would be.

The auto spark who fixed the issue with the headlight wiring loom reckoned the misfire could be fixed by replacing the coil pack that wasn't previously replaced along with the HT leads.

Sponsored Links
Back