Passing out

D

dextrous

So, had my mother's funeral yesterday (thanks again for all the kind words on my previous post)

At the wake, maybe it was the stress of the day, or the heat, or more likely that I got some food stuck in my throat which a drink of water made worse. Either way, I passed out, went down like a sack of potatoes and smacked my head on a concrete floor. Next thing I remember was the ambulance crew taking me to hospital. No long term damage.

The question is - have any of you ever just gone out like a light? Very odd experience indeed :confused:

Sponsored Links
It used to happen to me frequently as a child and young adult. I still have trouble from time to time. It's extremely unpleasant, can be very embarrassing, and it's possible to injure yourself (as you found) when you go down.

Hope you're over it now.

Apart from a bit of headache am fine. Think the worse part was waking up, forgetting what I was doing there in the first place - when I remembered, it was quite upsetting. But that's enough wallowing in self pity now.

I had just seen the dentist, just a routine checkup. I was in the waiting room about to pay, and I came across all queazy and faint, and collapsed on the floor for a couple of seconds. :eek: (nothing to do with the cost) The fitty on reception got me a drink and sat me opposite the front door (it was breezy) until my mum arrived (only round the corner).

No reason for it at all. Scary ****. :eek:

It happened once in the hospital, i'd just had my nose cauterised for the second time with that silver nitrate stuff (whatever its called). I was in the waiting room at the infirmary chemists and felt very faint. luckily my mum was there with me and i was sat down, didnt actually pass out.

Then again at a work meeting. Large room with about 30 people facing the front (double area meeting). Some really boring stuff about sales figures, and i suddenly feel very very hot and very very sweaty. It was dripping off me. The room was warm, but it wasn't that warm! Then i felt faint. stopped short of passing out, only just though. The kind of place where you really dont want to pass out, especially as a newby to most of the people in the room! What a first impression!!!

Sponsored Links
Oh Dex so, sorry to hear of your expierience it must have been very worring for those around you, glad that everything turned out ok in the end ..no lasting damage.
You take care of yourself mate, and enjoy life as it comes.. ;)

Wotan

I've had it. Cough Syncope (fainting due to lack of oxygen to the brain due to severe cough)

Unpleasant

Have keeled over sitting on the bed a couple of times and found myself on the floor. Banged my head once.

As with electric shock, the injuries mostly come from the fall.

One much more severe incident some years ago.

I now stay off and see the doc if I think I'm at risk again, and will sit or lie down (not so far to fall).

One of my buddies fainted once when we were giving blood. They suggested he didn't come again.

Very odd. In my case I apparently stopped breathing! - luckily my brother in law cleared the obstruction by using the heinlich (or howver it's spelt) procedure. My sonhad the worse of it as he was stood right next to me - it was a very bad day for him indeed.

Oh Dex so, sorry to hear of your expierience it must have been very worring for those around you, glad that everything turned out ok in the end ..no lasting damage.
You take care of yourself mate, and enjoy life as it comes.. ;)

Wotan
cheers

I've passed out twice while taking a large gulp of a drink.. too large that it was painfull to swallow and both times were fizzy drink and tipping the bottle too fast so it fizzed and went down under pressure..

must have compressed the veins or arteries in my throat / neck..

last time was last year and I was revising for my electrical testing exam with a mate from work..
scared the crap out of him.. came round as he was on the phone to the ambulance.. told him I was alright and cancelled the call..

dextrous said:
have any of you ever just gone out like a light?

I had quite a few near misses. As with xerxes, they happened when I was a lot younger and, if I remember rightly, it was triggered by standing up. My hearing always went first with high frequencies fading out. This would be followed a few seconds later by a dizzy sensation and vision going dark. :eek: :eek: :eek:

The very first time this happened, I avoided a total blackout by quickly bending over again and I repeated this on subsequent occasions. The one and only time I blacked out completely, it was a case of little death (look it up) and I was already lying down. :D :D :D

Epilepsy is far more common than you would believe and the variation in types of seizures is extensive ranging from going a bit blank, those moments in the car when you can't remember the last 100yds or so to full blown seizures etc etc and the feelings following a seizure are also highly variable, many feel completely fine. A lot of people who 'just suddenly pass out' may have mild epilepsy. Obviously I'm not suggesting anyone suffers from epilepsy or visits the doc as they'll take your driving licence away if they suspect it but if it is a regular occurrence say more than once a year then it could well be. Its not really normal to pass out without good reason.

Quite possibly a sudden drop in blood pressure, most likely to be harmless, had a couple of the fade outs when standing up. Lack of blood sugar could also be a factor, as no doubt the undoubted stress of the day.

My advice, perhaps take a day or so off, you've been through (and continue to go through) a lot lately. Take it easy.

I had a mild seizure the first time I gave blood woke up on the floor wondering what was going on, apparently this is quite common.

My brother also passed out in the loo at work he passed a kidney stone and his body went into shock at the pain, he doesn't remember any pain just waking up on the floor.

Had one or two episodes in my teens while studying at college, the medics said i was outgrowing my strength.

wingcoax said:
the medics said i was outgrowing my strength

That's an interesting hypothesis which agrees with my own experience and also that of xerxes. I cannot remember a near-blackout (little death episode aside) since my early twenties. Could it be that the heart does not grow fast enough to keep up with the expanding demand? :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Back