Paste the wall wallpaper over lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing wallpaper project for the first time - single wall, vynil, paste the wall. I've prepared the wall with lining paper (grade 2000 as it is in a bad condition) and now wonder what's the best and simplest way of putting the paper over it.

The options I read about:

- just paste lining paper as wall
- paste lining paper and brush paper with wet sponge to help it move
- paste both
- paste just the wall paper (less messy on the wallpaper afterwards)

What should I go for considering my skills? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Anyone? I'm leaning towards option 4 as I think I'm not going to be quick enough to put the next strip up before lining paper dries out on the seam (or need to stop to resume a few hours later)...

I have posted an old thread on this subject that can be found near the top of the painting and decorating forum.

Size the lined wall with a thinner paste solution the day before papering. Paste your vinyl wallpaper, leave to soak for a couple of minutes and hang.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both.

Can I use different paste for sizing than I'm going to use on wallpaper? I have leftover from lining paper (high performance solvite ready mix) that I can dilute. Then I'm going to use regular solvite (also ready mix)...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back