Paste the wall,wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all again,
Current room is all matt emulsion,we wish to repaint 3 walls and ceiling matt emulsion again,no problem,however 4th wall will be papered with "paste the wall"wallpaper and ive never used this!Do i sand it,size it as normal?What about overlap of paste on painted walls?Do i paste one length at a time on the wall obvious with overlap,does it work? better with pva on edges?
Regards
Paul :( :( :oops:

Sponsored Links
I hung it last week..must admit I wasnt keen..the biggest problem I had was the fact that the paper can crease easy becuase it stays fairly unflexible due to the fact it hasnt been soaked.

Id recommend lining the wall first..if you paper over existing paint it has a tendency to slip around, which could leave joint open.

Use a ready mixed paste its got more initial tack.

Wipe excess paste off other surfaces soon as.

Cut all the paper first and paste enough of the wall to do to bits at a time...roll each length back on itself so all you have to do it walk over to the wall with it and let it fall into place.

Zampa,thank you for that will update next week after trying it.Good tip for the ready mixed paste bye the way,they have it at local B&Q surplus store only £9 for 15 litres.
Regards
Paul:cool:
p.s solvite ready mixed i think!

Well cheap if it is solvite..wickes home brand stuff is surprisingly good too.

Sponsored Links
Just to add was £8 for 13.5kg tub,if anyone is intrested is in b&q discount store in Rochdale is Solvite also :LOL: :LOL:

Zampa,once again many thanks for your advice finished room today.I didnt have any problems apart from a bit of surplus paste getting on the edges,but was a black paper with a white floral motif.Wiped down as i went and wasnt bad.
Cheers
Paul :)

I used paste the wall once, not impressed, no flexibility in paper, was like putting cardboard up, old school for me.

I used paste the wall once, not impressed, no flexibility in paper, was like putting cardboard up, old school for me.

I use them from time to time. It took me a while to get used to them, but they do have advantages.

No need for a table, no need to soak the paper- the latter being a massive advantage. Because the papers have a woven backing, you do not need to worry about the paper stretching.

When working with them, I do apply paste at the edges where they meet the adjoining walls, skirting and ceiling, primarily to soften the paper enough to make the cutting edge more pliable.

Have used it loads of times, hundreds infact. I've pasted the wall but I find it easier to just use my table and paste the paper and hang straight away with zero soak time. I do tend to do behind radiators a lot which you obviously can't paste the wall without taking off. Most feature walls take me 2 hours or less using this method.

I used it for the first time last year and I was quite impressed at how easy it was to hang.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back