PAT testers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm going to do the PAT testing course and would like to know what is a good and easy to use PAT tester?

Also where is a cheaper place to buy one, (not ebay :D )

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Depends what you want? I used the top of range Robin which allowed auto down load to PC and allowed assorts to be pre-set. Great for in-house PAT testing but every time you move it a self check is started including if supply is OK and it made one slow.
Bottom of range robin however was far faster everything manual and no waiting to boot up. It would also allow you to test for as long as you want so handy for testing fridges etc. When you think they may be faulty when at certain part of cycle.
I think the firm who bought the top of range robin did not want us to cheat and because it did the recording you could not after testing a PC and lead just stick a label on lead you knew it was OK as you had just used it to test PC with but you still had to plug it in to get machine to take reading.
In spite of being top of range we still had to carry reams of paper work to set it for each item.
The Avo I used stored a lot more info and less paper work needed to be carried but it had a lower limit as to how many items it could remember. Again great for in house testing.
On my course we were shown a load of testers on the course so I would wait until you have completed course.
Also some will only test 230v single phase others will also test 110v gear with split phase.
So much depends on what and where you are doing testing.
On top of range robin one of the problems in a large workshop was before using one was suppose to enter ones code which would then identify you as tester but if someone forgot the results would show wrong name and once up loaded into PC the only way to alter was to write a program in Visual Basic.
Because of this all tests were printed in short form and signed by tester so we could be sure who had tested what.
Many places would not worry about wrong name being accredited with work so again depends on where you work. The Avo had a password which you could read what everyone's was by loading the results into the lotus suit we used so a little useless really.
Much depends on the manager who is responsible for the PAT testing.

Sponsored Links
I have only ever used one modern seaward tester an earth loop impedance tester which within 6 months started to give faulty readings so returned for repair.
Came back with broken glass.
After loads of complaining they sent me new case to change myself. Not an easy job and no replacement stickers.
So I would also not use seaward gear again.
The old stuff was great but service has let them down.
Even old stuff tried to get a replacement lead for PAT tester without any joy.

I like the Megger PAT4DV (or PAT4DVF with Flash), does all the normal tests, those required for IT equipment, does both 230v and 110v (you have to plug it into a 110v supply to do 110v). The only limitation is the amount of appliances stored internally but you can download them to a PC via a serial cable so isn't a massive problem.
Spares are available and I have always found Megger helpful when I have had any problems.

dont touch seaward

Care to elaborate?

I've always used Seaward testers with no problems, and would definitely recommend them.
For example we started off at work with against advice ending up with a supernova, along with patguard, then they bought a printer, first problem occurred, not compatible with supernova have to upgrade to supernova plus, tester sent off and upgraded at great cost only to get it back and find it didnt work with patguard anymore, "oh you need to upgrade patguard to patguard plus" more money passes hands.

Find printer very wasteful with tape cartridges wasted unrecoverable space at beginning of tape), without constant cleaning and diligence in keeping tape tight (spend more time on maintaining it than doing the testing!)the printer doesnt produce clear legible labels for long.

against more advice, company buys more into the seaward way with their PT300's RFID wands, braincells etc etc

Testers unreliable with connection to peripherals such as PC , wands, printers, will work for a while then all of a sudden an item will need pairing up again, technical support not worth a carrot, thats when you can get in touch with them.

New laser barcode scanner (slim rectangular type) loses its configuration on a regular basis and needs the barcode page scanned regularly.

Technical backup is rubbish with comments such as " never seen that before" instead of advice to rectify the problem!
equipment that seems to have been rushed out with several bugs.

Equipment such as the RFID wand not forwards compatible but backwards compatible ie although the menu on the PT300's (before updating again!) suggested they were compatible with the bluetooth RFID wand which miraculously "doesnt exist and wont in the future" yet the old supernova plus supports the wired version leaving a load of braincells that can only be used with the one tester and forcing a different approach to testing dependant on what testers are in use ( means we cannot have a standard means of testing).

Issues with the way software works with PT300's and loss of user passwords when updates are issued, Yep had to update again to use the new elite "hipster" printers.

Arghhh why oh why do our mangement insist on seaward gear(backhanders?)

:cry: need i go on? needless to say this is only the tip of the iceburg, i've lost count of how many times we've phoned Tech support(reckon we're the guinea pigs for beta testing their new gear maybe the management get the gear cheaper because of that?).

I hate seaward , I hate seaward :evil: :evil: :evil:

Tim,

Sounds like you've had a crappy time of it with Seaward kit.
All I can say is that I've used Seaward PAT testers (PAT1000S, IT1000, Supernova, Europa and PrimeTest 350) and accessories exclusively for over 15 years, and never had any problems at all.

C'est la vie.

We had a recent pat testing update course re latest codes of practice and funnily enough their old tech line guy was doing the course (felt like a long lost pal after all the calls made, that i'd never actually met in person) :LOL: I did take advantage of the ability to finally corner him and ask him about several issues we have but it seemed to me he either didnt want to or had been out of the loop too long to give me any helpful advice :(

Wow Guy's

Thanks for all post's
I must admit I have beed looking more into a Seaward for some reason,
But I deff wont be now, :)

I Deeff cant be doing with all the problems tim west has had.
I will be working for me self so I will get to pick it myself,

I will look at the megger rang thanks Spark123

Cheers

Wow Guy's

Thanks for all post's
I must admit I have beed looking more into a Seaward for some reason,
But I deff wont be now, :)

I Deeff cant be doing with all the problems tim west has had.
I will be working for me self so I will get to pick it myself,

I will look at the megger rang thanks Spark123

Cheers

the printer doesnt produce clear legible labels for long.
Our Supernova has never printed a readable label and as you say, the printer seems to be on its own mission to waste as much tape as possible.

We had a recent pat testing update course re latest codes of practice
As far as I'm aware, portable appliance safety falls within the following regulations.

The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974
The Management of Health & Safety at Work 1992
The Provision & Use of Work Equipment 1992
Electricity at Work Regulations 1989

Am I right in saying that the law remains the same and it's just the IEE's code of practice that has changed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back