PAT Testing: What equipment to buy?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
that looks the dogs..

with additional bits you can print barcode lables for the things you are testing with asset numbers and probably a testing code too
then you just scan it next test and it sets itself for the right auto-test..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your advice folks. The Alphatek unit looks good, more like the units I've used at college, and does have more features than I thought I'd get for the price. This might be the one I will go for, but I'd be grateful for any more recommendations yet.

Another question....how often, given the relatively low amount of use this tester will be getting, should it be re-calibrated?

Chrislee 765 sorry, I was a little misleading when I said PAT testing is part of my 2330 course - we are actually doing the C&G2377 PAT testing qualification alongside the 2330. I am also at the end of the second year and took the 206 (practical) exam yesterday - and passed! All the students on my course are mature and quite experienced in electrical work, so we got through the course fairly quickly and the college offered us the choice of some other short courses to fill the remaining time, and we chose PAT testing!

TBH it doesn't work quite like that...

Lets say you have already tested the items already and have reloded the data back into the tester, when you scan the asset barcode/tag all it does is enter that number into the field that you have scanned it into, it does not set the meter up with the correct test procedure for the item.. the best way to do this is to write it on the barcode label.. (it comes with something like 5000 barcode labels which have a field for the test procedure!)

It is sometimes quicker to just select the tests manually and hand write the forms!

One of the main reasons that I got it was because it does 230v and 110v equipment

Sponsored Links
but the leaflet says that you can enter the test codes with the barcode scanner..
I didn't mean that it would remember the asset number and the associated code..
might have to be a seperate lable with the test number on it..

If your company is going to pay for the kit software is a must for record keeping seward pat pro is the best as far as I am concerned.
permanant id on equipment is a waste of time, new number each time is the is the way to go trust me
forget barcoding also
you will never ever stop employees daisey chaining extentions
or brining in their own stuff if you have 110v equipment to check kit will be heavier
buy a load of IEC leads and figure of 8's as well these get caught under desks,chairs etc
ext leads with neons give false results like "reversed" get a plug in polarity checker plug it in first with something else running I use a small hairdryer for this, really the list is endless and you will develop your own way and little bits of kit to help
DM

Hi Andy the seaward software I use can be manipulated to do loads of stuff and I think your right about flagging up items due I dont bother as I just call up the site then location and scan visually items due, you can alter the freqency of testing from 6 months to 3 years (Ithink)
As a matter of interest how many items do you think you will test annually
At present I test about 10k items annually, I do and I would suggest that as its commerciall you urge they owners to test annually regardless of reccomendations in the IEE book
DM

I've now got the Alphatek unit and have done a few sample tests with it - seems like a good machine, very easy to use, good build quality, so thanks for the recommendation.

Before I start on the actual job I have a few questions about PAT testing. I'll post these on a new topic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back