Patchy ceiling again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a nightmare with my kitchen ceiling (rough as anything, multiple holes for downlights and sections removed to access cables) I'd finally finished with the filler and ready to paint.

I primed the areas I'd filled with Zinsser Bullseye and sprayed two coats of Leyland Super Leytex, but it looks bloody awful!

The drying times between the primed and unprimed areas were vastly different!

Anyone know how I can save this one?

Just spray again and hope the absorbency is now consistent?

Attachments

• 20240316_190026.jpg
    20240316_190026.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links
Better to cover entire ceiling with primer
Patch primer can cause whiter areas.

Someone on a Facebook group suggested priming with SBR, is this something you'd recommend?

I'd rather not use the expensive Zinsser stuff to do a whole ceiling!
Better to cover entire ceiling with primer
Patch primer can cause whiter areas.

Beeline sealer is cheaper than gardz.
Sbr can't be painted over as far as I'm aware.

The BS123 has stain blocked and sealed and given a white appearance.

If you're spraying then a splash off in the paint (10%) water and cross hatch as you go will probably sort it out.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll pick up some Beeline tomorrow.

Reckon I'll need to sand it back, or will a coat of Beeline and a couple of spray coats of Leyland make it look consistent?

I worry about sanding areas which have been primed with Bullseye as it seems to stay flexible and peel off rather than sand down

Beeline sealer is cheaper than gardz.
Sbr can't be painted over as far as I'm aware.

The BS123 has stain blocked and sealed and given a white appearance.

If you're spraying then a splash off in the paint (10%) water and cross hatch as you go will probably sort it out.

You can paint over SBR, however drying times will be longer. That is true of all stain blocker-type products though.

I thought SBR Was like rubber. Exterior sealer for rendering.
I've only ever use once on a plastering job so I'll take on that information. I was probably missing a trick

I can't get Beeline by tomorrow unfortunately, will Leyland acrylic primer do the job?

I thought SBR Was like rubber. Exterior sealer for rendering.
I've only ever use once on a plastering job so I'll take on that information. I was probably missing a trick

I use it on stone window sills before backfilling with toupret filler or two pack.

Unlike PVA, if there is water ingress, it doesn't re-emulsify like PVA would.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back