patchy emulsion finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to those who have provided some advice recently, I am new to this forum.

I have another question - I have papered and painted the hall stairs and landing and am pleased with the finished look, however one wall downstairs look patchy in certain light. The paper was a type of anaglypta, not a heavy embossed and finished with two coats of Crown matt. I prefer the matt finish on walls and ceilings to the silk finish, although I know it's more difficult to keep clean. I am not sure if I have rollered the wall wrong, used the wrong roller head or something else. As the light shines through the front door the wall looks patchy but if you look at it from another angle it looks fine, any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Gille said:
Thanks to those who have provided some advice recently, I am new to this forum.

I have another question - I have papered and painted the hall stairs and landing and am pleased with the finished look, however one wall downstairs look patchy in certain light. The paper was a type of anaglypta, not a heavy embossed and finished with two coats of Crown matt. I prefer the matt finish on walls and ceilings to the silk finish, although I know it's more difficult to keep clean. I am not sure if I have rollered the wall wrong, used the wrong roller head or something else. As the light shines through the front door the wall looks patchy but if you look at it from another angle it looks fine, any thoughts.

Some times it's the pattern on the paper gille. you did right with the matt finish. But if there the slightest variation in the texture of the paper you will probably never hide it. Presume your talking about the stair wall ? Can only suggest you give it another coat keeping a wet edge ie cut in first then quickly fill in with toller making sure you dont spread it out too far. ie put it on like your not payin for it ;)
good luck
john .

Did yu mean a blown vinyl type?...was it super fresco?...the stuff is notorious for uneven relief of the surface,..I hate the stuff and always warn customers of it.

Sponsored Links
Zampa said:
Did yu mean a blown vinyl type?...was it super fresco?...the stuff is notorious for uneven relief of the surface,..I hate the stuff and always warn customers of it.

Hi zamp. I'm just hanging some super frescoe and am quite miffed. Its a graham brown b/v. Label says no pattern match. but just putting up 3 lengths you can see one side of paper is shiny the other dull. and if I had carried on putting paper on each length same way up (as is proper) it would have looked yuk. Tried reverse hang each length and it's the business!! This should have been on the label. I'm going to cantact Graham Brown as this is'nt the first time their labels have been misleading.
had some batches several times where it says there is a pattern but there aint. and wasted ages looking for non existing pattern :evil:
always seems to be this Graham Brown paper. People got it from B&Q! But I think I'll go an get another stella first :LOL:

Could be a fault in the paper...its common for one side to be flat on their paper..sounds like you have got away with it though.

I had a bark effect one of their on a staicase a while back...and one length had a flatter relief...slap bang in the middle of the wall...only noticable once it was up..

Hate the stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back