Patio...Grout help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Iv had a quick look in the search function! but couldnt find a answer.

Ok, Iv just built myself 3 seperate Patios!

When i Grouted (if that is the right term) 2 of the patio's i just used a Sand and Cement mixture! i didnt add water as i thought i would just be able to brush it in...which I did, and worked a treat. However it has never really set properly and i can pretty much just scrape it out with my nail. I havent done that with my 3rd as im not happy with the result....I intend to dig out the grout and re do it.

What id like to know is how and what should i use?.

Cheers for any feed back.

Neil

Sponsored Links
all depends on a couple of things. WHat sort of slabs have you laid and what is the width of the joints?
The dry method should work ok, providing you have soaked the joints prior to pointing (and let the surface water dry off to avoid staining)
If you did it on a really hot day or in direct sunlight this can cause the mortar to crumble, so cover it over with a damp dust sheet or similar. Best to strike it after with a jointing tool to compress it and draw the water up

the alternative is to use a wet grout. i use a mix of 1:3 and get it damp so that you can compress it in your hand, but that way it wont stain the slabs. you then just work it in with a small trowel and strike it after to get the pointing finish you want. you can also add a coulourant toit to compliment the slabs

I agree with Thermo, I also use a 3:1 ratio of pit sand and opc but don't gennerally add water, as long as the sand is fairly damp this should be enough to make it 'go off'. However, I would never just sweep the pointing mix in 'as seen on TV', it is totaly useless for pointing as there is no proper contact between the molecules to encourage the usual reaction with a concrete mix. I also don't wet the joints first, although this may work for some. if you use a narrow piece of wood (slightly norrower than the joints) you can tamp the mix down into the joints and strick off with the same tool. Hope this is of some help.

no i never wet the joints if im doing wet pointing. If you make it a little too wet, just leave a bucket of it for a while to dry a little. Also make sure you use a bucket or similar to measure the proptions equally, especially if you are adding a colourant, to kepp the colour even.

I have use dry pointing, but im not a great fan of it, although in certain situations it is the only method you can use with certain slabs and joint widths.

Sponsored Links
cheers for the replys guys :)

I didnt soak the joints and i didnt compress the mix into the gap either (just brushed it in) and it was redders on the day.

Well, it all makes sense what you guys wrote! I will use a 3:1 mix soak the joints brush and compress the mix in this time.

Thanks alot chaps

Neil :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back