Patio lower than lawn - drainage issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping to extend my patio outwards by about 1.5 metres.

As you should be able to see, my so-called lawn is higher than my patio.

2016-06-05-09-31-31-jpg.100141

After testing a power washer on slabs, the water really builds up against the bricks so I'm wondering if the current set-up has been poorly designed in terms of drainage.

When a patio is lower than the lawn then obviously the water can't run off it so should a drain have been installed or is that not necessary? What's the usual procedure?

I'm sure a French drain would do it but there's nowhere to run it off to. Also I'm really on a budget especially as this all might be dug up in about 2 years’ time for an extension.

One thing to mention, if you look to the left of the photo (closest to the bottom) there is a gap in the bricks and coincidentally there is a hole in the lawn about 2 metres directly up (not shown) that seems to have a pipe leading to this hole. Just wondering if that's supposed to be some sort of drainage although it's not doing anything apart from spewing out debris onto the patio after a downpour.

Thanks and hope you can help.

Attachments

• 2016-06-05 09.31.31.jpg
    2016-06-05 09.31.31.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 4,388
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back