Patio problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying a new patio in my back garden 30sq meters. I've put down about 3 jumbo bags of MOT type 1, on top of that I have 1inch of sharp sand. I have managed to lay one side of the garden top to bottom. Unfortunately I had a problem at the bottom end of the garden when it started to rain, on standing on the slabs they started to move about, through the gap I could see a lot of water in the sand. I move the sand away thinking maybe the subbase was loose, but I was wrong it is solid. Also on moving the sand away I was expecting it to be water logged but it wasnt. I was think perhaps i should add some cement to the sand to make it solid, so when it rains it's still has a sold base and the sand won't turn to mush. At the top end there is no such problem.

Sponsored Links
it sounds like the wrong type of sand. are you sure its sharp sand? When laying paving once sand get very wet you have to stop as it turns a bit fluid but that is only during the laying process and should not be affected afterwards, does it fall and drain somewhere ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back