paving advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am wanting to get a garden shed and stand it on paving slabs rather than a solid concrete base as it will only be used for light traffic such as cycles and garden equipment but the problem i have is that the location where i want to put it is quite uneven and needs some soil excavating to make it level.

the question i have is, once the ground is level, do i need to put a compacted sub-base down or a layer of sand, or both, or will it be possible to lay the slabs onto the bedding mix directly on the compacted ground?

also, what would the best bedding mix to use?

could anyone point me in the right direction please?

Sponsored Links
patio slabs must never be laid on soil/clay.you need to lay about 4-6 inches of chippings to dust and compact the area with a wacker or hand rammer until base is firm or lay some weakish concrete to lay your slabs on.when you lay the slabs you mix 4 sand to 1 cement.and lay mortar on each corner of slabs and one in the middle.i have also seen slabs laid on ready mixed screed but it does not level so easy. from simon the bricky/builder

slabs should only be laid on a full wet bed of mortar, not on 5 spots.

Sponsored Links
lay mortar on each corner of slabs and one in the middle.
Thanks for the advice but even I, a complete amateur, know that you should lay slabs on a full bed of mortar.

Thermo, having read some of your posts, you seem to be the man with the know how. In your opinion, if the ground is well compacted, could I lay slabs on a full bed of mortar directly on the ground, no sand or sub-base, sort of Tommy Walsh style?

that will be fine with a small shed. worth putting some dpc along the timber bearers to keep them as dry as possible

patio slabs must never be laid on soil/clay.you need to lay about 4-6 inches of chippings to dust and compact the area with a wacker or hand rammer until base is firm or lay some weakish concrete to lay your slabs on.when you lay the slabs you mix 4 sand to 1 cement.and lay mortar on each corner of slabs and one in the middle.i have also seen slabs laid on ready mixed screed but it does not level so easy. from simon the bricky/builder

For a shed base!!! :eek:

You were doing well until you specified the dreaded five spots. :rolleyes:

excuse me.in this in this you said light traffic.which is why i said this.i should of said large blobs maybe,as the slabs are 450x450.but if you want to lay a full bed this is ok too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back