Paving without a wacker

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first attempt at block paving, a small 3-ish square metre section where the bins go. Lets see how this turns out. I've already spotted many mistakes, but it has been a great learning experience. :D

I am at the point of brushing in the kiln dried sand between the blocks. On the block paving videos I have watched I see that a wacker plate is used to help ensure a good distribution of the sand. I don't have a wacker plate.

I've got one of these hand held compactor things, but it doesn't seem right to use for this step:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roughneck-ROU64379-Rammer-Tamper-8-inch/dp/B003CT4DD6

Is there something else I could use to achieve the aim of using a wacker?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My first attempt at block paving, a small 3-ish square metre section where the bins go. Lets see how this turns out. I've already spotted many mistakes, but it has been a great learning experience. :D

I am at the point of brushing in the kiln dried sand between the blocks. On the block paving videos I have watched I see that a wacker plate is used to help ensure a good distribution of the sand. I don't have a wacker plate.

I've got one of these hand held compactor things, but it doesn't seem right to use for this step:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roughneck-ROU64379-Rammer-Tamper-8-inch/dp/B003CT4DD6

Is there something else I could use to achieve the aim of using a wacker?

TBH a whacker plate is a key part of block paving as it beds the blocks down into the sand - usually the blocks are set higher to allow for it.

You can hire them

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
I have something a bit like that, but it is just a heavy chunk of iron on the end of a bit of scaf, its good for compacting small areas. When i have done block paving and knocking down after sanding; I lay a small plank of wood on the blocks (may be 24" x 5" x 2" thick) then whack that - gets a good even finish

• Thanks
Thank you @Munroist - that seemed to work OK ... fingers crossed!

And thanks @Notch7 . I hadn't thought to set the blocks slightly higher to allow for it. Next time I will make sure to hire a whacker plate (and a block splitter!) (y)

Sponsored Links
When I do drain repairs I never use a wacker.

I use a hand rammer to compact the stone then rubber mallet to smack the blocks down onto grit sand (Or grano).

Then once I brush the kiln dried over I tap the blocks with the mallet again to get them perfect.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back