PC Crashes on start up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having problems with a pc that wont start up. Its running Windows XP Pro (+service pack 2) with an AMD Athlon 1.6Mhz cpu and 512mB ram. It will usually (not always) get to the log-in screen but once you log in it will crash anytime between clicking on a user to trying to click on 'Start' to do something. This happens just about every time i switch the thing on and is driving me mad. If i start in safe mode it runs fine.

Anyone suggest where i can start looking for the problem - could it be a virus or hardware problem? Any more info required, please just ask!

Sponsored Links
As it happens i've been removing the RAM sticks to see if i've got a RAM problem so have the side off the case at the moment - still no difference tho? If i don't log-in and leave it on the log-in page its fine and i can access all the files on the harddrive across out network?

Have you loaded new drivers/software recently. If it's starting in safe mode, it would suggest a problem with with something loading at startup.

Sponsored Links
Not that i can think of? I haven't used this pc for a couple of months because i couldn't figure out what was wrong with it - then i found the PC area of the DIYnot forum and thought i'd ask? I can't think of anything that has been put on it prior to the problem. If been in on safe mode and got rid of any programs we don't need on there and disabled everything (i think) from starting at system start-up. Still no joy!!

If you can access your HDD’s over the network & archive the files you need I would first do that. Reformat the main HDD & do a fresh OS install; assuming you have an OS disc! You can spend hours even days trying to find what’s causing some of these problems. It could be the RAM as some of the cheapo generic modules can be problematic; I once had to return a module that refused to work alongside it's seemingly identical twin & I also bought a new power supply once thinking that was causing shutdowns & it later turned out to be driver related. Doing a fresh install generally cures it & doing one every 18 months or so pays dividends on its own. Check all the internal cable connections &, preferably, start off with only the main HDD & CD/DVD drive connected & then connect/install other hardware afterwards, at least then you can have an idea what’s causing the problem if it reappears. Do the same with software, load & test one prog. at a time & make sure you load the latest drivers; some of the older stuff can get a bit flakey.

Thanks Richard, will try that but only as a last resort i think. I've changed the settings in Windows Auto Update to alert me when there are updates instead of automatically downloading them and that has helped the problem. It now lets me go in and i can do some stuff but still isn't very stable, still keep getting crashes every now and then. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled AVG as that kept having 'a fit'. Just trying to get rid of unwanted stuff and run the virus scans. See what happens!!

Probably not the problem here but is dust detrimental to a pc?? On removing the case to check the RAM i've discovered absolutely loads of dust inside the case? Is this dangerous to the performance of the pc and if so, how do i remove it without a) risking damaging anything inside and b) blowing it out and getting a face full of dust?

Is the HDD full up?

Too little space will make it do exactly as you describe.

Use a hoover with the nozzle attachment, also a new/clean 1" paintbrush to clean it out.

I'll have a look because to be honest i hadn't thought to check that. I doubt it though as it hasn't got that much stuff on it. Presumably this could also be an issue if parts of the HDD are damaged? Maybe scandisk will be my next point of call?

Probably not the problem here but is dust detrimental to a pc?? On removing the case to check the RAM i've discovered absolutely loads of dust inside the case? Is this dangerous to the performance of the pc and if so, how do i remove it without a) risking damaging anything inside and b) blowing it out and getting a face full of dust?
I’ve got push/pull fans on my case & it gets absolutely full of dust; I suppose it doesn’t help much with cooling but I'm not sure it actually does any harm. I vac the case & fan slots regularly to keep those clear but once a year I take the box outside, remove the outer panels & blast it clean using the air compressor I have in my garage. Would still seriously consider that OS reload though, gives you a chance to write out any bad sectors in the HDD & gives a nice clean install & registry.

Use a hoover with the nozzle attachment, also a new/clean 1" paintbrush to clean it out.

Oh dear God , dont do that !!! Have you heard of static discharge ?

Use compressed air as previously recommended. Ideally with an inline moisture trap if its a compressor or a tin of compressed air from Maplins or similiar.

If you machine works ok in Safe Mode then it is not an overheating problem but probably a driver or network problem as only the basics are loaded in Safe Mode.

I will assume you always run an up to date anti virus programme and firewall.

If the machine was OK and then you changed Windows Update to fully automatic then I would first suspect a new updated hardware driver is the problem. My Dell will not work with the latest recommended graphics card driver. I found this out the hard way and ended up rebuilding my PC. You could try starting in safe mode and rolling back a device driver and then see what happens. Have you tried a system restore?

Before doing anything else though I would make sure you have a backup of any important data first.

If rolling back a driver doesn't work then I agree with another reply and suggest you rebuild and disable windows auto update.

Sponsored Links
Back