pc keeps turning it's self off

I wouldn't worry, it's common for people to think thermal paste is designed to sit between the heatsink and the top of the CPU to provide better heat transfer. In fact the thermal paste is designed to fill in the tiny grooves that are on the bottom of your heat sink and provide uniform heat transfer by filling in any air pockets.

As long as no thermal paste was rubbed off you should be fine.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry, it's common for people to think thermal paste is designed to sit between the heatsink and the top of the CPU to provide better heat transfer. In fact the thermal paste is designed to fill in the tiny grooves that are on the bottom of your heat sink and provide uniform heat transfer by filling in any air pockets.

As long as no thermal paste was rubbed off you should be fine.

Isn't a more uniform heat transfer providing better heat transfer???

I personally wouldn't risk it, but then its not my computer.

Perhaps my post wasn't worded very well I admit. But anyway my point was if you put thermal paste on a heatsink that already has it applied without removing the previous with isopropyl alcohol, then you're creating another surface for heat to transfer through.

Perhaps my post wasn't worded very well I admit. But anyway my point was if you put thermal paste on a heatsink that already has it applied without removing the previous with isopropyl alcohol, then you're creating another surface for heat to transfer through.

Totaly agree, but its not recommended that you take a heatsink off then put it back on without removing and applying new thermal paste. Mainly because of the reasons you've pointed out.

Sponsored Links
If its working fine then all the geordie need do is check the temps. If they are within tolerance then all is good.
Personally i'd set up cpu temp alarm in the bios and see what happens.
If its shuts down due to overheating then clean with isopropynol, apply new compound and reseat. Otherwise no need.

I'd echo what synapse has said regarding the reason for the paste.

I've applied a HSF without any paste as they were semi lapped and the temps were nice and low.

Back