pc on television

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm thinking of setting up a system where I can access my pc through my television. My pc is upstairs.......television downstairs.

Could someone please advise me on what hardware I would need to do this ( preferably wireless )

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's not entirely clear what you're envisaging,

Do you mean that you want to sit in front of the TV and use a keyboard/mouse to input to your computer, and use the TV screen as a monitor?

As you say Softus, to use wireless keyboard and mouse using my tv as a monitor.I know people who have done it using cables, but not without.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
What kind of tv do you have. Computer screens have a much higher resolution than a standard tv, trying to do normal computer work, email, browsing etc will make you go blind straining to see what's going on, you'll probably have to drop the resolution on the pc but then websites will half disappear off the screen.

The other problem is with wireless keyboard and mouse, they usually work on line of sight, it will be difficult to get this working through walls and floors.

If you are intending to watch movies stored on your hard drive then that makes more sense. Best option here is to get an external hard disk drive with a built in media player which you hook up to your tv like a DVD player.

The only other way is to get a laptop with tv out. You can wirelessly access files on your main pc, and can hook the lappy to the telly for watching movies. I can watch divx films on my tv which stream effortlessly to my laptop from bedroom comp. High definition films will struggle though as they will need lots of wireless 'headroom'.

Thanks for that Deluks.......I'll go away and ponder, I havn't bought the tv yet, but I know I can buy one that will serve as a monitor as well, the problems you envisage with the keyboard/mouse are something I had not considered. b****r

If you're feeling flush and wanna be flash, get the antec fusion case Will look good in the living room.:cool:

Fill it with a basic system and wireless card then you can stream from upstairs.

As you've not bought the tv yet you could save a bundle by getting a widescreen monitor and then get a tv tuner for your pc.

Sponsored Links
Back