PCB, regular system or Combi-that is the question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having spent months waiting for someone to tell me what was wrong with my boiler, I was informed it was my pump.

Having spent weeks hunting for the pump, i've found out it was a bodge job and there probably isn't a pump.

Having been informed that it wasn't the pump all along, but the PCB (Printed Circuit Board I believe?), I am told I have three choices:-

(Bear in mind I have apparently been ripped off by the "plumber" who fitted the Baxi 5 years ago, as he "fitted a new boiler to an old system without compensating-it's crap" (said the British guy who diagnosed the PCB prob))

1. Replace the PCB. Cheapest option by far but we want to stay in this house, so is it the sticking plaster on the amputated limb routine?

2. Get a regular system fitted, much more expensive than option 1, but better than lukewarm radiators and only enough hot water to fill a bucket we’ve had for the past 3 years.

3. Get a combi fitted. Most expensive, but we are staying in this house for quite a few years to come.

It’s a tatty three bedroom sixties-semi, 8 old rad’s, easy loft access. Another factor is we are skint as hell!

Discuss.

Cheers friendly DIYexperts and professionals, I await your advice.

ta, tingworthy.X

Sponsored Links
I assume you have had BG round?

They will always push for a new boiler install. Not all their engineers are as good as those who post on here.

As you state you are 'as skint as hell' I would go for the repair option and start saving for a new boiler and/or system as quickly as possible.

You have not given us any facts as to what faults or problems you have encountered and as to why you feel the last chap 'ripped you off'.

Fair comments Dave.

Ok, I feel the bloke who fitted the system let us down because I was told by the British Gas guy that he had fitted a Baxi boiler to an old system of pipes, but not compensated, whatever the hell that means. (??) He said it should have more pipes going in and out or something (it currently has 1 in and 1 out.)

The British Gas guy was just here taking a look as a favour to a friend who is a plumber, and he just came did the diagnosis and went, fair do's.

As for the "facts as to what faults or problems you have encountered", that's easy, it didn't work! We've had no heating and only hot water from emmersion since March. But it has never been brilliant anyway, rad's never got hot, just luke warm.

I don't know what the hell i'm on about, and as you say i'm damn sure there's loads of blokes on here who know tons more than me, (or a British Gas engineer!!) i'm just here for bit of friendly advice.

Let me know if you need to know anything else, and thanks for your advice.

tingworthy.X

It seems to me the best way we can help you is if you have a phone with camera option take as many pictures as you can of

boiler
airing cupboard
loft
and if at all possible some pipework underneath a radiator you should find floorboards which have been lifted previously and probably not tailed down again either by an electrician or a plumber. If you first find the electrician's one with luck plumber will have used it too otherwise find the other one.

Then we can start to build a picture and advsie.

To get the pictures on here register with photobucket upload and click on

Sponsored Links
Oh My GOD!!
Just been visited by a plumber calling to give us some idea of what it what it would cost to fit either a new regular system or a new combi system.

He says there probably is a pump, and before he fits any new boiler we will have to find it. I'm pig-sick of this, why can't a professional plumber just get on his hands and knees and find out where the bloody pump is? I don't know where the hell else to look, it's like looking for Shergar!

One thing after a-bloody-nother, think i'm going to go and live in the desert.

tingworthy

Baxi Solo 3 PFL Range

By the way, you guys are great helping like this.

Reyt, i'm off to take some pics and register with photobucket, back soon.

ta, tingworthy.X

Baxi Solo 3 PFL Range
This boiler is designed to work with pumped systems only. There must be a pump somewhere.

Did you know that you can load your pics onto this site, no need for photobucket etc. Just click the Upload Images link below the Spell Check button. This lets you create an album into which you insert the pictures. You can then insert the image into your text as a thumbnail by clicking on Show My Images, then clicking the image you want to insert.

Post your pictures; it will save asking a lot of questions about your system. ;)

WEYHEY!!!!!!

Listen at this lads, you'll like this.

This old plumber has just knocked on my door, another friend of a friend.
He spent an hour slowly, steadily going through, checking one thing after another with the boiler. Never looked at the manual once.

40 minutes after he'd arrived, a glorious sound not heard for many months, the boiler kicked in, then the fan, then God bless you Satn the pump!!

Stan the Man had figured out that is was the air pressure switch that had overheated because someone had left it against a hot part when they changed the fan last December.

Hallelujah!! After five plumbers and six months of worry, my rad's are warming up.

All hail Stan the Man!!

Cheers for your help lads on here, I know i've got to get a new system as soon as I can afford it, but Stan getting us through this winter is a real blessing.

Merry Christmas!!!!

tingworthy.x

Under the living room floor near the site of the original back boiler? Right near that grill in the alcove.

a glorious sound not heard for many months ... ... the pump!!
Don't keep us in suspense! Where was the pump hidden???

LOL! Dunno where the pump is mate, and I don't bloomin' well care now we've got our boiler working again!

Is it any easier to find now the boiler is working? Spose it would be handy to know for future reference. Stan the Man reckoned it was upstairs under the bathroom floor, as that's directly above the Baxi. Only trouble is we've had big thick tiles put down in there and you can't even get the bath panel off, don't make things easy for ourselves do we-Doh!

Anyway, i've been aNd bought the part and Stan the Man is calling after work this aft', bet you any money now we've got the heating back on we'll have the hottest Sunniest late September on record!

Cheers lads,

tingworthy.X

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back