Pebbledash and wall-plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am in the process of constructing a pitched roof over my porch. It was flat bitumen previously which was old and failed.

The house is pebbledash finished. The question I have is whether you would typically remove the pebbledash to fit the rear wall plate tight against the brickwork. Or would you typically fit over the existing pebbledash?

Note that this is a permenant structure, it will not be going down in the future so preservation of the pebbledash isn't really a factor here.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It'll be easier to get the wall plate flat and level if you can chop the render back to brick. Try a bit (in the middle)- if it is rockhard and not at all easy to shift then leave it be, if it comes off easily in big lumps then get rid. Structurally makes little odds- you'll have to cut a channel into it for the flashing anyway- if you do leave it on then use longer bolts to make sure they get a good bite in the brickwork

The text books say hack it off, but if its sound and you use long enough bolts you can leave it instead of messing about.

If it's rough, then timber wedges or some mortar in any gaps will stop the board twisting.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - I was considering cutting out a ledger-sized hole and just hacking that bit off, the rest can stay... Maybe I will just offer up the ledger and see how wonky it will be over the pebbledash...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back