pebbledash going bald

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed the other day that the render/pebbledash on the gable end of our house looks as though it's loosing it's 'pebbles'. The gable end is south facing, and also exposed to the prevailing weather. Below is a pic I took earlier.

IMG_0014_zpsb898b6f0.jpg

Apart from the fact it's starting to look pretty unsightly, I'm worried it's going to start leaking or (probably less likely) falling off.

The property dates from the early 70's - the cracks you can see are from shortly after it was built- apparently subsidence was an issue, and fixed with some massive steelwork in the loft. The cracked render then repaired as you can see.

So, is this a problem, and what are my options?

We'd considered painting the render at some point, as it does look pretty grim, though after paint it'd only looks like painted grimness in my opinion (a few places locally have been painted). It's probably the cheapest option that might do some good.

It would be nice to re-render the whole area, though I can imagine it would be expensive, and I doubt we'd see that back on the value of the property.

thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
Leave alone and paint before you sell, deal with leaks if they arise, your only likely to get leaks through if there are cracks in the render and even then you'll have cavity walls, unless they've been insulated with fluff but thats another matter!

Sounds reasonable.

Will probably paint fairly soon, as soon as we get the gutters, fascia and soffits done as whilst servicable, they ain't pretty.

Interestingly enough, we do have fluff in the walls (no leaks yet, to speak of).. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back