Peeling eggs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. I know how to peel eggs.
2. I've been peeling eggs for decades.
3. My egg peeling process has never changed.

Normally when I peel an egg, it goes pretty much according to plan. My process is drop the egg gently on the work surface to break the shell, get my fingers under the membrane and peel. Job done.

Lately, I'm finding the eggs are not peeling properly. Even when I get my fingers under the membrane, it seems stuck to the main egg and half of it ends up coming away with the shell. Ok not half but a fair bit.

I'm up in Scotland and the eggs are from here (supermarket bought) so I appreciate most of you can't comment like for like. However is anyone else experiencing this of late?

Sponsored Links
I did notice the same a few years ago, but I don't have as many hard boiled eggs now. I wondered whether it was due to egg age. Delia once said when you crack an egg into a bowl you can see the membrane is more pronounced when an egg is fresher.

Peel it under running water or just keep dipping it in a bowl of water. It really does make a difference.

Sponsored Links
Could be to do with the diet of the hens or how they are being kept, regulations relating to these things, etc.

I like boiled eggs and do find sometimes that they peel really well and other times I lose lands of the white.

Could be to do with the diet of the hens or how they are being kept, regulations relating to these things, etc.

I like boiled eggs and do find sometimes that they peel really well and other times I lose lands of the white.
Yeah I wondered if feed and/or living conditions might have a part to play.

1. I know how to peel eggs.
2. I've been peeling eggs for decades.
3. My egg peeling process has never changed.

Normally when I peel an egg, it goes pretty much according to plan. My process is drop the egg gently on the work surface to break the shell, get my fingers under the membrane and peel. Job done.

Lately, I'm finding the eggs are not peeling properly. Even when I get my fingers under the membrane, it seems stuck to the main egg and half of it ends up coming away with the shell. Ok not half but a fair bit.

I'm up in Scotland and the eggs are from here (supermarket bought) so I appreciate most of you can't comment like for like. However is anyone else experiencing this of late?
Perhaps they are too fresh. I get mine from a local free-range farm, collected and sold same day. They recommend that if you want shelled hard-boiled eggs, you leave them for some days.

Does it help to drop them in cold water?

You could try the rubber mat method.

Perhaps they are too fresh. I get mine from a local free-range farm, collected and sold same day. They recommend that if you want shelled hard-boiled eggs, you leave them for some days.

Does it help to drop them in cold water?

You could try the rubber mat method.
Nah, not too fresh. I normally drain the hot water after boiling and put them in cold for 20 secs or so before peeling.

It's weird in that I've changed nowt with my process, however never experienced this issue before or at least not to this extent.

I know exactly why eggs can be a pain to peel.

They are too fresh.

Older eggs peel a dream.

Sponsored Links
Back