Peeling Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just started decorating the back bedroom and been doing it for a week now, not a happy bunny at all, anyway, in certain patches above an old picture rail that has been taken off, the paint just will not stay on the wall ????

I have sanded it, painted it with watered down paint, I have done this about 6 times, a lot of it has stayed on but near to the ceiling and in 2 football sized patched as soon as it dries it peels off and it feels wet when you pull it off, but the wall is not wet ?????

Any ideas, I think it was replastered at some point don't know when as the house is about 80 years old ????

Would be glad of any tips, as it is doing my head in now, the room looks good except this 2 patches that stick out a mile.................. :cry: :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

Just about to start on the front bedroom which I think will be the same, but going to put lining paper up first then paint it, but just wanted to ask will the paper stick to the wall or is that going to peel off like the paint, am i wasting my time and money papering it ?????? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sponsored Links
D**T**P*R :cry:

I think you will have to wash off the old coating with hot water and a scrubbing brush and scraper. In a house that age it was probbaly originally decorated with distember, which is a sort of whitewash with added glue made of boiled up dead horses and sometimes coloring added. It is a bad surface to try to redecorate.

Thanks I will try that, although I thought it would of all come off with the steamer we used to get the 5 layers of wallpaper off in the first place............... :LOL:

You really will have to wet and scrape and scrub until you can see the bare plaster.

The glue does not soften in cold water but it does in hot, but then you have to scrape and sponge it off before it sets again. It also smells a bit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks will try that. But you can see the plaster it is a grey colour. Will have a go, thanks again.

We had to do that in the lounge, my mum and I spent a week scraping and washing, it was a nighmare:(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back