People Are Stupid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why can't people be sensible about the freshness of food?

I despair.

What happened to look/ smell/ taste?

Look at it. If it looks OK, then

Smell it. If it smells OK, then

Taste it. If it tastes OK, eat it.

People are throwing food away unopened just because it is on the date.

Co-op are putting BB dates on yogurt instead of UB dates.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-04-21/co-op-to-scrap-use-by-dates-on-own-brand-yogurts

Sponsored Links
I've eaten countless foods that have been way past the BBD, and never suffered any problems.

Granted, you do have to take care with meat, fish and cooked rice.

Basically there are two kinds of date.

Use By: which you should not consume beyond that date.

Best Before: will be fine after the date, but you may notice a loss of flavour or a change in appearance, but it won't be dangerous to eat.

Last edited:
Ive always gone by nose whereas certain people around me throw anything close or on the date on the packaging. Drives me to dispair.

Sponsored Links
Supermarkets massively discount a lot of food near its bb date, yellow sticker items they call them. Some real bargains to be had and a lot can be frozen. We have about a dozen loaves of Warburtons bread in the freezer, possibly no more than 20p a loaf.

Two weeks ago I bought a packet of four lamb chops from Asda, the were on their use by date, so I got them for 10p. It was another ten days before I got round to eating them and they were great.
I did what we did before the dates went on everything. i.e. look, smell and taste.
I also bought a "ready to eat" mango on 27th March for 10p, I ate it yesterday, and it still wasn't fully matured. They never do mature properly when they've been harvested too soon.

I bought a Marked down Melton Mowbray pork pie today for 70p In Sainsbury's, scanned it and ate it on the way round.

:ROFLMAO:

Strictly, you shouldn't do that, but as you don't get accused of stealing anything until you walk out the door (by which time you've paid anyway), it shouldn't be an issue.

No everyone can smell or smell tell what is puka and what is just shy off puka. My husband lost his sense of smell, most of it a good 20 years ago. Therefore, best to have use-by dates etc.

What the sellers could do is a BBD and can be eaten x days afterwards if kept properly and must check the smell.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Back