Pergola Build Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice for a novice DIY'er looking at adding a large pergola into my garden.

To give everyone a bit of context, I have a garden width of 1100cm and I am wanting to build a basic, modern pergola the full width of the garden, with as little posts in the middle as possible, that will support everything fully.

I have read up for a number of hours on some of the details of this, but had some specific questions that I am hoping everyone can help with.

- What would be the suggested post size, would 4x4 be enough, or would 6x6 be needed (I am planning on buying a 3m length and 0.5m would be concreted underground)?
- Based on the above sizes, how many posts do you think are needed. If we use 4x4 as the size, we would be looking at around 3.5m in between each post to have a total of four posts - is this too much, would I need to add more to this?
- Similar question to the width of the pergola too - I am hoping to make this 10ft (ish), would that work to have the two posts in each corner?

Hopefully the above makes sense, but let me know if you need anymore details. Any advice on the above, or in general to make this possible would be amazing.

Sponsored Links
Our pergola, (here before we moved in), is 10' wide by 10' deep with no centre supports. It has a 4" x 2" between the front and back posts which support 5 cross beams from left to right. The only extra support is 2 smaller pieces of timber at 45 degrees near the top corners of each post in both directions. I don't know how deep the posts are sunk into the ground because, as I said, it was there when we moved in but it is quite solid.
Attached is a photo of the garden and you can see the pergola to the right. If you look at the top corners of the supports you can see the 2 angled supports.

P1030474.JPG

Sponsored Links
What timbers are you planning to use which are 11m long?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back