Peri project for a couple of diyers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone with experience of this ?

Shuttering.gif

My neighbour friend wants to erect a 15 foot retaining wall behind his bungalow to prevent a bank from slipping and has asked me to give him some help. He is thinking of hiring the peri system from a local company and has loaned a digger from another farmer friend.
Are their pitfalls to look out for when using peri where inexeprienced operatives are concerned ?.
It looks easy enough. :)

Sponsored Links
AFAIK if you are going to employ anyone to work on it scaffolding (of any kind) must be erected by a qualified person.

Excavation or scaffold means significant risk of serious injury (falls and landslip) - a 15ft fall is enough to kill. Both together increase the risk.

You can take whatever risks you want with your own life but make sure you do not put anyone else at risk.

I agree with above only competent certified person can erect the scaffold. You will also need a banksman and knowledge of trench work and shuttering guards.
As we say falls from heights and crush injuries biggest killers on sites.
Pete

Sponsored Links
noseall wrote

we're talking civil engineering here
Well I always try to be as civil as possible. ;)
We weren't considering erecting any scaffolding ,just the shuttering. :D
Any other pitfalls to avoid ?.

With the greatest respect.
That looks like a structure that will probably need some sort of planning or building regs approval. This needs to be designed not just put in by a couple of diy'ers. It may be that the company supplying the system offer a free design service for their product.

Sorry to sound negative but a 15 foot retaining structure holding up land or perhaps even a bungalow needs to be designed by a professional in my opinion. For instance have you given any thoughts to drainage?

-Neil

neilsummer wrote

For instance have you given any thoughts to drainage?

Errm, a big pipe laid behind the wall at low level. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back