periodic inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you go out to do a periodic inspect and test and you can see that the install is beyond help, no earth bonding connected frankenstein fuse boxes incorrect cables connection units, can you just put in the notes rewire required . Its not that im lazy its the fact that if you touch this piece of ---- you would need a week to put it back to its original state
Your comments please.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
I concur with FWL here (sorry to take the mick, J!!)

No problem..someone has edited my post though..originally it stretched to a whole line of ? :D

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
No problem..someone has edited my post though..originally it stretched to a whole line of ? :D
Yeah, I've noticed that after I put 2 pc monitor together to see it all :LOL:

masona said:
FWL_Engineer said:
Yeah, I've noticed that after I put 2 pc monitor together to see it all :LOL:

Thats cos your eyes are really bad..:D

I wonder if what chowbasa is saying is he's been asked to do a PIR, he's found something like this under the stairs:

ElDistBoard.jpg
ElSupply.jpg

and he wants to know if he has to do all of the normal tests, or can he just put on the report "this is a manky and dangerous bag-o-sh*te and should be rewired"

?

ah, finally somebody that speaks my launguage.
You ask a simple question and you get a smug reply.

I think the answer yo want is to sy why in your report that it needs rewiring, to say that it does does not say why

You have to conduct the test to a reasonable practicable level, if for some reason (ie, by opening the DB it will fall apart), then this can get noted in the limitations (ie, Visual inspection only, limited instrument tests carried out due to dangerous condition of distribution board etc).....

Same with deteriorated VIR at circuits, if its in that much of a poor condition, you cant be reasonably expected to test them....

As long as the report matches up with all of the sections, you shouldn't have any worries......and if the installation is that bad and could cause harm to persons then consideration should be given in isolating the installation.

So Ban.......you managed to rewire your house then..... :LOL:

chowbasa said:
ah, finally somebody that speaks my launguage.
You ask a simple question and you get a smug reply.

To be honest the reason I replied the way I did because I was questioning why the question was being asked in the first place.

With respect Chowbasa, if you need to ask the question, should you even be doing the PIR in the first place?

How is one supposed to learn if we cant ask a simple question of a know it all like yourself.

chowbasa said:
How is one supposed to learn if we cant ask a simple question of a know it all like yourself.

Nice cheap insult there fella. I suppose I should have expected that as it is what many resort to.

Chowbasa, if you want to kill yourself feel free, but if you start doing something that you lack the knowledge and experience to do you could kill someone else, if you cannot or will not accept or realise that, then you have no business messing with it in the first place. That is equally true for everyone in this industry, regardless of technical knowledge or experience.

IF you are a qualified electrician, then I strongly suggest you buy Guidance Note 3 from the IEE, this is the guide to Inspection and Testing, I would also urge you to undertake the C&G 2391 Inspection and Testing Course.

One thing I would point out....If you are not qualified, it is actually Illegal to undertake Inspection and Testing of ANY electrical installation.

By Qualified the law means a qualified Electrician/Engineer that has undergone formal instruction or training, or a person deemed competent by having successfully completed the 2391 course.

When Part P comes into force, ONLY qualified Electricians that possess the 2391 certificate will be legally able to do Inspection and Testing of any domestic premises.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back