Periodic Testing and Inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just enrolled to do C&G 2391 Test & Inspect. Once i've competed this course and built up confidence/experience i want to be able to do the PIR for people wanting to buy homes or small businesses. Would i need to be NICEIC (or equivalent) registered, or would i just simply fill in a EIC with appropriate paperwork? Does the PIR have to be notified to anyone???

Sponsored Links
You need to fill in a PIR report, not an EIC for a start ;)

You also need the basic sparky quals aswell - 2361 etc.

You don't need to register, but doing so would make open you upto 99% more work!

You currently need to register as an Aproved Installer with the NIC, not just a Domestic Installer.

If you do PIR's frequently, your yearly inspection from the NIC will also take these into consideration, and they will look over several of your PIR certs, and visit a couple sites.

In my experience, people don't generally seem to have reports done for purchases as much as they once did. The work seems to come more from insurance companies asking businesses and home owners to have a PIR done.

On average, we do about 3 or 4 a week. And usually a LARGE one every month or so.

Sorry yeah PIR not EIC. You seem to have contradicted yourself there, 1st you said you didn't need to register, then you said you had to register on NIC approved installer scheme, im confused, please clarify.

New2Game said:
Sorry yeah PIR not EIC. You seem to have contradicted yourself there, 1st you said you didn't need to register, then you said you had to register on NIC approved installer scheme, im confused, please clarify.

You don't need to register to issue a standard PIR as per the model cert in BS7671.

BUT

If you want to gain work - most insurance companies, local councils, estate agents etc look for an NICEIC registered person.

The NICEIC will only allow you to issue PIR's (currently) if you are registered fully with them as an Approved Contractor. If you register as a Domestic Installer, their rules do not allow you to issue a PIR report.

Clearer?

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
The NICEIC will only allow you to issue PIR's (currently) if you are registered fully with them as an Approved Contractor. If you register as a Domestic Installer, their rules do not allow you to issue a PIR report.

Clearer?

Do you just mean their PIR's?

Maxxy said:
Lectrician said:

Clearer?

Do you just mean their PIR's?

Well, theoretically, yes.

You also shouldn't, according to the rules, touch ind/comm installs either......can't see any domestic sparks obeying that though! Mind you, seeing the state of some ind/comm installs, I wish they would!

Lectrician you can now register with NICEIC to complete their pir forms as a domestic installer..................It'll cost you £250 a year and have to have an assessment, thats ontop of the yearly DI assessment and charge, same with p.a.testing. I haven't got the letter with the info from NIC now it's filled under BIN.
Have not bothered myself just sticking with the IEE form for now.

That makes being a domestic spark more expensive than an approved!

I knew it was on the cards....

Lectrician said:
In my experience, people don't generally seem to have reports done for purchases as much as they once did. The work seems to come more from insurance companies asking businesses and home owners to have a PIR done.

Im a little confused, I thought that when purchasing new house a PIR must be carried out - or am i wrong

No, it's not a neccessity.

Your insurer may ask for it, and it may be a condition of the mortgage offer if the property is very old etc.

Usually, people don't seem to bother these days.

The home buyers pack would make it mandatory, but this has side lined for now.

lectrician,
Your right it is more than the niceic full approval, so another money making scam by the look of it.
So i'm going for full approval when the DI is up for renewal, that or transfer to one of the other scheme operator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back