Permanent sink removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after a bit of advice on permanently removing two vanity sinks currently in bedrooms.
I have a general idea how to do it ie cut off water supply, drain down combi boiler, drain water from taps, cut water pipes and waste and cap, turn on water and re pressurise boiler.
I am right? Anything else I need to know? I was going to terminate the pipes and waste just below the floor but what is the best way of capping them permanently?

Sponsored Links
You dont need to drain down or repressurise your combi, just turn the mains water stop cock off so theres no water flow for the boiler to respond to when you cut the hot tap feed. Its also useful to stop the cold ones leaking as well. You can get compression stop ends which fit over the cut pipe and use an olive as the sealing agent, all assembled with spanners. You can get solder caps which do the same job but will require the application of heat, not always easy between joists, with a blow torch.
As for the waste pipes a couple of solvent weld rodding points would blank those off or compression plastic ones if you think you will ever need to use the pipes again. They may be either 32 or 40mm, check before you buy.

As for the waste pipes a couple of solvent weld rodding points would blank those off or compression plastic ones if you think you will ever need to use the pipes again. They may be either 32 or 40mm, check before you buy.

You can't use solvent weld fittings if the system is a ring seal polypropylene and you can't use ring seal on a solvent weld system as the pipes are different diameters .

You can use compression type fittings on either system.

As for the hot and cold just turn off the mains stop tap and open Hot & Cold taps on the floor below if you can, then open all the taps to be disconnected. They should drain off to a lower open tap unless the pipes go back up again. If they do then you need to find a drain cock on both hot and cold supplies to the vanity units

If capping off above floor level compression is OK, but I would advise on using soldered joints only below floor. As and alternative to compression fittings there are plastic fittings such as "speedfit "you could use. Example STOP-END

Whatever you use make sure the outside of the pipes are clean and free of paint and other contaminents

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back