Permanently remove radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We are permanently removing a radiator and would like advice on whether each end should be capped off or whether the pipes should be joined like the photo below? It has currently been done per the photo, but I can't work out if this is right?

Any advice would be great, thanks

IoNuZlLV

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cap off at flow and return - although looking at the residue on the pipework I'd recommend cutting out the 'T's completely.

Can you help me understand why we need to cap off the flow and return and not have it like this?
Thanks

It can be left like it is. All you've done is replaced the rad with a piece of copper and a couple of elbows. There is no need to join the flow and return as the main circuit flow will still be ok to all the other rads.
As advised, those soldered joints look poor and would be best replaced.

Sponsored Links
It can be left like it is. All you've done is replaced the rad with a piece of copper and a couple of elbows. There is no need to join the flow and return as the main circuit flow will still be ok to all the other rads.
As advised, those soldered joints look poor and would be best replaced.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but they have joined the flow and return together.

So I have one for leave as it is, and one for cut it and cap it (both suggest replacing the t's).
If I don't replace the T's , should I leave as is, or cap off - builders have done this and planning to plasterboard tomorrow! (all of the joints in my house look like that - 15 yr old house - does not look like they wiped the solder off the joint and that is what's green)

Thanks all

That looks like it shoud be on display at the tate modern! I would suggest that the stubs are capped off and not joined together as in the picture. The link will create a short circuit that may starve radiators downstream of the link,

A plumber would have capped it off. Your situation is a result of letting it be done by someone with little plumbing knowledge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back