permenantly remove a toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cap off a toilet waste pipe, as the toilet is to be removed and the floor tiled over. how best should I seal off the soil pipe?

Sponsored Links
A time honoured way of capping off old salt glaze was to tightly pack a wad of rags down the pipe, and then apply a 4" plug of sand and cement.
John :)

Those test plugs look like a good, affordable and easy fix.

Would I need to consider anything else before boarding over and tiling?

Sponsored Links
The Bldg Regs and the Environmental Guidelines require any abandoned soil or sewage leg to be rooted out and plugged off at the next live connection ie. an IC or MH. Because they become homes to rats.

How many actually do this, typically, depends on how many BCO's are looking over their shoulders.

Hows about (if the outlet is accessable) fitting one of those plugs at the far end of the drain and pouring and ramming a sand and cement mix down to solve the rat problem ? Spose it depends how long the soil is ;)

gigz,

Problem is, on most(?) drains, getting clear access to fill the pipe with a S&C mix would be difficult and time consuming.

Plugging, with a custom expanding plug, at the MH end is something that i'd not thought about. But rats would probably nibble the rubber away.

In older properties, its often the old outside WC thats been abandoned, and the drain is fit to collapse - so its prudent to dig out.

Old (abandoned) outside WC's make an ideal entrance/exit for rats. The pipework is dry, the WC doesnt contain any water in the pan as it hasn't been used for years and the rats can come and go as they please with minimal disturbance! The initial extra work involved in sealing a redundant drain off properly is worth it long term to prevent giving the little blighters an easy life. Despite their disease ridden lifestyle, they are clever beggars and if there is an escape route, they will find it! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back