permitted development on already extended property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iam just about to complete the purchase of a cottage and feel that an extention to the kitchen to create a dining area would be a good idea at some time in the future.

Having read the info on forums and the gov portal, iam a little confused about permitted development.

I would like to build a single storey extention, around 4 metres deep across the rear of the property which would normaly come under the permitted development rules.
However there was a large two storey extentiion built onto the rear in the 1980's which almost doubled the size of the cottage, this work must have required planning permission as its quiet large.

my question is, does this large extention mean that there is now no more permitted development, as the original house has been already extended?
or because it was done with full planning does it mean i can still build a small extention without planning or will i have to submit planning application.

There is plenty of garden space, house is detached and no close neigbours.

Iam also wanting to build a garage, probably before the extention. if i need to submit planning for the extention, would it be best to submit drawings for both the garage and the extention at the same time?

thanks for any advice you can offer.

Sponsored Links
its from the original footprint or as at 1948 so you need planning

Thanks for the reply,
what about a garage of under 30m2, will that be allowed or does the same rule apply and i will need to submit planning application?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back