Persimmon house

20,how could you get that many :?::!:
It was a strange estate shape, with town houses down both left and right sides of the garden, as well as the neighboring houses.

It wasn't the only issue. No parking beyond a 1 car drive, and within 20m of the west coast mainline!

Sponsored Links
We've looked at houses over the years (I would like a good sized garage).

For the size of our rear garden, 5 minute walk to school for one child and 10 mins for the other, 3 car parking and 10 minute cycle into work for me it would be madness to move.

There was a nice bungalow round the corner with a workshop attached, they demolished the lot and put 4 houses on it!, no gardens at all just a drive for one car each house.

There's a field at the other side of our back fence, my mate had a back garden over looked by 10 properties.

I suppose different people look for different things but we'll be staying put for a long while yet.

At the back of here, it's around 120yds to a row of newer chalet style houses at the far side of a rail line and 100yds to a main east/west main line, in a deep cutting. I can't see the trains pass, but I can just about feel them a bit of tremor from the heavier ones. I have around 40yds of back garden, then the railway fence, then railway wasteland. It does leave me wondering what it must be like for those poor people, with a busy rail line passing their rear windows so very close.

Just a few months ago, we received a postcard from Network Rail, indicating they would be turning that wide strip of wasteland between us and the line, into a plant storage area. Presently its covered with bramble, bushes and trees which is very effective at minimising train noise. We needn't have worried, they have only used part of the strip and none of it at the back of us.

Just saw this on Facebook. I am so tempted to comment "what's the woodland view, looking at the trees in the neighbours garden?".
The only way I could restrain myself was to share it here instead.

FireShot Capture 171 - Facebook - www.facebook.com.png

vb1208010_2181264-035.jpg

Sponsored Links
Really, no gardens at all :!: How did they get planning permission for that :?:

Genuinely don't know how they managed it, there would be a fair bit of profit so more than likely a "sweetener" or two would be likely.

I'm walking my daughter to school in the morning, will have a look as we go past.

Genuinely don't know how they managed it, there would be a fair bit of profit so more than likely a "sweetener" or two would be likely.
Having been involved in the housebuilding 'industry' I don't go along with these 'sweetener' allegations unless it refers to the things some housebuilders donate to the community like open spaces or commuted payments but I can't see how there would be no garden whatsoever to a house.
Having been a victim ,what I object to is the poor workmanship and snagging householders are subjected to ,through poor site supervision basically, on some sites.
ps not the ones I worked on

My mates Persimmon has some bad brickwork and tiny surface water drains. He had to have his garden dug up so they could put a bigger pipe in

416D7053-7763-41B9-B1B5-59763D55185C.png

My house is riddled with faults, roof replaced twice, render cracked, damp, wrong DPC around the whole house, cracked floor tiles, broken boiler, leaking sink, plus many more issues. Totally ripped off and lied to by the sales team. Once they have your money, they don't want to know. Never again will I buy a new build.

billyb24 - that sounds terrible and no excuse for all that sort of thing, but it depends on the builder, not all new houses are badly built.
Are you getting these faults rectified by the builder in the defects liability period and is the builder NHBC registered :?:

billyb24 - that sounds terrible and no excuse for all that sort of thing, but it depends on the builder, not all new houses are badly built.
Are you getting these faults rectified by the builder in the defects liability period and is the builder NHBC registered :?:

All defects were reported within the 2 year warranty period. They drag everything out.

My warranty is with LABC. My developer(he owns Triumph motorcycles) deny liability for everything. Said my house was sold as seen, meaning in there eyes it came with all these faults. They even lied to LABC saying I got a discount to accept these faults.
After a long battle and going through LABC they finally accepted the render cracks, roof problems and DPC levels were structural and needed fixing. Roof has been replaced twice. Presently have scaffold up for render repairs and the house painted. Once the scaffold comes down they will do the ground works for the DPC levels except the front garden which they say is fine, but the report said something needs doing. If you search my name you will see my other post about this.
Cracked floor tiles, wrong colour kitchen corner pieces, paint peeling off the Windows etc etc they say are cosmetic, sold as seen and LABC don't want to know about anything labeled as cosmetic.

The render and ground levels were suppose to be completed within 3 months of the report which was Feb 2018 and they only started beginning of October 2019, some 20 months later. What's the point giving them a 3 month deadline when nothing happens when they ignore it. The roof repair that was finished roughly September 2018, I've been up to take a look. The mortar between the coping stones that were re layed is cracking down the sides, some I can see daylight through.

Scaffold been up nine months in total, most of my sky channels don't work because the signal is blocked. It looks ugly, stopped us using the garden the whole of last year's Summer, had thieves on my roof at 2am, can't open any Windows now or when they were fixing the roof last Summer. What do they say, sorry for the inconvenience and please accept my apology.

Last edited:
Hells bells, how could they get it so wrong twice!

Roof leaked first day of moving in. Site manager lied saying they had just renewed the lead and that's how rain got in. I believed him. Few moths later rain coming in house via roof in bathroom, same place as first leak and back bedroom.

Roofing company came out, said pent roof built wrong etc. the roof has a flat 1 foot approx walk way round the base of the tiled roof part. The developer lied about this too, said the tiled roof went straight down to gulley, no flat part. The roofer replaced all the tiles and batons, you can see the whole in roof where whoever built the house never put a vent, just tiled over the hole etc. The roofers said the roof was sorted. No one from developer came to check. This repair took about 2 1/2 months. I climbed up scaffolding to check it. It had broken and missing tiles, the flat part of roof was lower than the exit point for the downpipes, so any water just pooled up until it rained enough for it to spill over the lip.

Developer said this was not a fault, that it was built to specification. I took videos and pictures and put it to LABC who said it was a build defect, hence the second roof repair. Second roofing company ripped everything off the first one did and re did it all saying first company did a bad job.

They left dying trees in giant submerged pots in the garden that I had to dig out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 253
  • image.png
    image.png
    323.9 KB · Views: 266
  • image.png
    image.png
    372.2 KB · Views: 261
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Here's the lead the site manager said they renewed. They took the tiles off this part of roof and replaced with lead saying it's built wrong and the tiles won't fit so it has to be lead.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 250
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 249
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 243
While the last roof repair was In progress it rained one Sunday afternoon really heavy. Luckily I was home. Water started pouring in the back bedroom, spread to the front bedroom and the stair cupboard. Rang the emergency number, someone answered after 30 minutes. Told him water is streaming in.
He says, is it still raining, I say yes. He says, sorry, for health and safety reasons we can't send anyone out. Wtf. I left messages for roofer, luckily one of them lived close by and he came to sort it. If he was not available the whole ceilings would have caved in.

So much for emergency cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back