Petrol Generator Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Clark petrol generator with a Honda engine. The engine seems to be running fine but the electrical output doesn't seem right. I run 45w horse clippers but the motor doesn't run properly and the clipper blades don't run fast enough any more.

I plugged a volt meter into the Blue output which is the 240v one and it gave a reading of 109. Does this mean the it isn't generating enough electricity? I don't really understand it.

Sponsored Links
No, checked that. Flipped the switch to 110 output went to 9 with volt meter still in blue socket.

Sponsored Links
Some pictures with a model number would be helpful.

Also check that the yellow 110v sockets measure 110v and not lower.

Also is there any eco switch, if so try disabling it.

okay i've dug out the paperwork;

Its a Clark 2000ND, part no 88561010
Volts
115/230
Amps 17.4 / 8.7

Kva 2
Phase 1
Rpm 3000
Freq 50hz

year 07

Yeah, from a 230V socket, the output should be 230V.
No the output should be what the specification quotes which appears to be 240v not 230.
We now know that its specification says 230V, so the output should be 230V. Unlike the issue with nominal DNO supply voltages, when the manufacturer of a generator says 230V, they presumably mean 230V.

Kind Regards, John

Yeah, from a 230V socket, the output should be 230V.
No the output should be what the specification quotes which appears to be 240v not 230.
We now know that its specification says 230V, so the output should be 230V. Unlike the issue with nominal DNO supply voltages, when the manufacturer of a generator says 230V, they presumably mean 230V.

Kind Regards, John

The OP originally said the specification was 240V (I plugged a volt meter into the Blue output which is the 240v one), but in his latest post he has changed it.

I got the v wrong, my bad. As I said I don't know a lot about generators. I just want it to run my horse clippers and I'm a she not he.

I got the v wrong, my bad. As I said I don't know a lot about generators. I just want it to run my horse clippers and I'm a she not he.
It sounds as if there is definitely something wrong with your generator. It may or may not be cost-effective to try to get it mended.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks I guessed as much. How do I work out what size generator to replace it with.

Originally it was bought to run some floodlights but now it will only be used for horse clippers and some power tools

Thanks I guessed as much. How do I work out what size generator to replace it with. Originally it was bought to run some floodlights but now it will only be used for horse clippers and some power tools
You need to find out what is the maximum power requirement (watts or amps) of the things you might want it to power, and then get a generator with an output (at 230V, 240V or whatever) at least a bit higher than that.

If your tools are rated in watts but the generator in amps, divide watts by 230 to get amps. If the tools are rated in amps but the genrator in watts, multiply the amps by 230 to get watts. [and if you have kW rather than watts, multiply kW by 1000 to get watts]. Most 230V DIY-type power tools are under 2000 watts (about 8.7 amps), and all are below 3000 watts (about 13 amps)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back