Pex, PB, Copper for central heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Any pros/cons of using PEX, PB or copper.

I want to try and run the pipes through an existing stud wall, so on the face of it plastic pipes would be easier to install and need less joints.

Do verticall plastic pipes need any special support when running vertically though stud walls?

I saw on an US website PEX is better than PB, as it is less likely to fail and more resistant to chemicals in the water like chlorine, but not sure if they use the same pipe over there.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

MisterG

Sponsored Links
Pex is better for domestic water, but PB is better for heating, especially low temperature underfloor heating.

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Definitely DIYer :) .

This isn't for underfloor heating, but for adding radiators and connecting to the hot water cylinder, as I want to move the cylinder.

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
Depends on use in that case.

Pex need a rest period every day to regains it's properties, it's not designed for 24/7 operation in other words.

PB would be better in that instance.

copper tails to rads and cylinder, pb pipe everywhere else

do not forget your pb inserts and double up on your clips

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back