Phone extension cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. Just moved into a new office and there is a phone extension cable running to the upstairs of the property to the room we're using as the office. Openreach checked that it was working and said it was, now it isn't and is hanging to bits anyway. At the moment there is only one wire connected internally, think it's a red one. Anybody got a wiring diagram for an internal phone extension? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The cable will only need to be connected using two of the wires.Chose any two. At each end connect to terminals 2 and 5 only.
Done.... but if this is a long term phone socket and broadband is in use, there are better options.

Not strictly speaking any two, it needs to be a "pair" to prevent interference.

Red sounds odd.

Pairs are gently twisted.

112504_300.gif

I'm guessing he's looking at one of those flat cables with a preterminated plug / socket on each end, red, black, yellow, green multicore if I remember right.

OP, if you buy telephone cable your colours should be what lectrician posted. Generally the blues are used.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the responses. Yes cajar it is one of the flat cable type. The colours are what you mentioned and there's the small 4 pin connector block. The only wire connected is to the far right as you look at it. Really want to utilise this if possible as it's a rented property and the owner may not be too happy if I run a new cable all the way upstairs.

Bear in mind this cable will degrade adsl if router is connected to extension.

For connections try:

Red - 5
White -2
Green -3
Blue - 4

If it is stranded cable then it will not make reliable connections in a punch down ( IDC ) terminal.

I doubt the landlord would complain if you improve the situation by installing the correct type of cable and thus making the installation better.

Thanks for the help everybody. Just to let you know, I only intend operating a dual phone off it. I will be leaving the router/hub and ADSL filter attached to the main socket downstairs. It's obviously an old cable as none of the suggestions fit the wiring I have. I'm just going to plug the phone in and try the remaining 3 cables one by one to see if I get a signal tone. I'm presuming I only need one more wire other than the pre-existing one.

if you want to use the existing cable and it terminates onto an idc connecter, you can still do it by screw connecting some solid core wire to the end (about an inch ) and putting that in the idc. it won't be optimal but it will work and uses the existing wire like u asked.

yep you only need one more wire in the right bit and what you said is the fastest way to do it. if it pops out in future do that thing I suggested about adding the tail of solid core.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back