phone line problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the house phone has gone stopp ringing for incoming calls. since i know nothin about phone lines, what could be the problem? it sometimes makes a quiet noise, and if i pick up then i can talk to the other person. i have tried a few diferent phones but nothin is workin

Sponsored Links
Disconnect all your extension wiring from the master socket, and try a phone directly into that one.

This will allow you to determine if it is a BT fault, or an internal fault.

Likely to be internal wiring, or a naff master socket.

Lectrician said:
Disconnect all your extension wiring from the master socket, and try a phone directly into that one.

This will allow you to determine if it is a BT fault, or an internal fault.

Likely to be internal wiring, or a naff master socket.

have disconnected wiring and still not workin. someone came the other day and blamed the phone and wouldnt (didnt even open toolbox) do any testing (its my grandma's phone and i wasnt there). someone else is comin round on friday. i was just wonderin what the fault could be for when they come round. this time there gonna have it fixed, regardless of what they say the fault is

there are three main possibilities

1: faulty extention wiring if present
2: faulty ring capacitor and/or connections in the master socket
3: faulty exchange.

Sponsored Links
Your faulty line could be caused by your own phone.The engineer should have proved the fault to your own equipment or to Bt line incoming,and he should have demonstrated this while you were present.

raychem said:
Your faulty line could be caused by your own phone.The engineer should have proved the fault to your own equipment or to Bt line incoming,and he should have demonstrated this while you were present.

someone has been round and found the problem. 1 year ago the cable coming into the house was susposed to have been replaced due to damage. upon further examination, they have just 'bodge' repaired the cable and the water has got in. the cable is due to be replaced on monday, but for how he has done some temporary repairs altho its liable to go back to how it was. he knew about the 'replacement' before he got there and had the correct test equipment

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back