phone line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have relatives who have bought a house.

They have ordered the phone service through post office.

the property previously had a bt line.

The post office said they won't have a telephone line active till 8th of January but after plugging in a phone I've noticed thatt here is the normal ring tone but when i try to dial a number I'm told it is not a recognised number.

Is this normal?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
I've noticed thatt here is the normal ring tone

I take it you mean a normal dial tone.

Yes, it's quite normal with modern telephone exchanges when somebody moves out of a house. The line is not physically disconnected immediately if not needed for somebody else, but instead a command is just issued to the software to discontinue service, with the results you describe.

Hi,

I have relatives who have bought a house.

They have ordered the phone service through post office.

the property previously had a bt line.

The post office said they won't have a telephone line active till 8th of January but after plugging in a phone I've noticed thatt here is the normal ring tone but when i try to dial a number I'm told it is not a recognised number.

Is this normal?

The line will be in a stopped staus meaning you cannot dial out or recive incoming calls,the idea being that when the line is ready for use again it will be reactivated with either the orginal number or a new one,on a positive note you should`nt need a visit from a openreach engineer providing the line tests o.k when re activated
many thanks

The line will be disabled in the exchange software.

You may find you can call the emergency services by dialling 999, but nothing else.

Sponsored Links
You might also be able to find out the number (formerly) in use on the line by dialing 175.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back