Different telephone number for granny flat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a question for you pro's. We have a granny flat and wish to have a different telephone number added to the same phone line to activate the phone in that area only, so it doesnt ring in the main house. Does anyone know whether BT have this facility?

:eek:

Sponsored Links
You can't do that, but one of the calling features is a different ring tone for different calls. Not quite sure how its set up but might be worth looking into. Other option is to get VOIP phone that works via the broadband which comes with its own number. Its completely different, including the std code. Ours is 01522 XXXXXX I think.

We have the BT Home Hub with VOIP phone, tried both V.1 and the later V.2 version of the hub and phone and its currently in the loft as its too quiet, both for us and the person we are calling (on a landline)

Does anyone know whether BT have this facility?

would it not be best to ask BT, since if some one said they do, and they said they dont, it will not help you any will it.

I personaly think the answer is no. not unless you have a ISDN line, which will probably cost more than an oradiairy line.

how about a mobile?

to get a seperate number from your house to granny flat would require a seperate line being installed to granny flat.

Sponsored Links
The answer is yes if you have broadband because you should be able to get a voip line. You're not tied to the broadband supplier, or to a BT hub phone. BT for example will supply a voip line over any service providers broadband and pretty much any modern phone is compatible.

Do you have broadband?

sorry Europlex, thats not what the op wants
It's called Call Sign - from BT

We'll give you an additional number for your phone, which will have a separate ringing tone when it is called.

............to activate the phone in that area only, so it doesnt ring in the main house..........

I still think the OP will have to have a separate line to have exactly what has been asked for

note: Before broadband became popular you could have 2 lines (i think they were ISDN) you could have 2 modems at something like 56k or one at 112K by combining the lines. if it is still availabe the op cpould have that, each line has its own number, but i dont suppose its available and i bet now a 2nd line is cheaper anyway.

please also note the speeds i have mentioned may be wrong, as may the name. but it did / does exist.

to get a seperate number from your house to granny flat would require a seperate line being installed to granny flat.

I still think the OP will have to have a separate line to have exactly what has been asked for

you could have 2 lines (i think they were ISDN)

ISDN2e has two (64Kbps digital) channels. You can't plug a 'normal' phone into it. Usually a small business will use it for a small swtch board (2, 4, or 6 lines). DDI numbers would allow you to ring a particular extension.

It costs significantly more than an analogue line for installation and works out a bit over twice the cost of line rental for an analogue line.

The thing you're probably recalling was Home Highway, an ISDN2e line with a terminal adapter to allow you to plug in two analogue phones and came with three numbers allocated (one digital, two analogue). It's not been available for some time.

The thing you're probably recalling was Home Highway, ...............It's not been available for some time.

yes, thats sounds like what i was thinking of, so that must be it. Thanks for that.

Call sign can be used with call sign switches.

The phones do not ring for the first ring while the call sign switch decides if the call is for that phone or not. It works, but is not ideal.

ISDN Home highway used to offer two 'PSTN' lines with the digital ports too. It has been discontinued.

ISDN2e could be used set to P-MP rather than P-P. You would then need to use ISDN phones or ISDN adaptors.

Alternatively you could install a small PBX with an ISDN trunk with P-P access. You would then set the DDI's to point to which extensions you want to ring. However, you need to buy a minimum of 10 DDI's at £1 each per month on P-P lines from BT. Some PBX's ISDN trunks can use P-MP, and you can then have just two numbers. Not many PBX's with ISDN support P-MP though.

The big end to this is.......

Pay the £109 or what ever it is now and have a second PSTN line installed! (Line rental for an ISDN line costs the same as two PSTNs anyway!).

You could use a different provider for install and rental - would be cheaper.

I am now waiting for Whistle (Europlex's alter ego) to post some stupid comment like he usuallly does.

if you have broadband have you considered voip? some voip providers will give you an incoming number free ( sipgate.co.uk is one ) and voip to analog adaptors aren't too expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back