Telephone socket question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Im after some advice regarding a (unused) telephone socket in the house.

The previous owners installed 2 independant telephone lines - One that was a general line and another that was a buisiness line.

Now that we have moved I have a useless phone connection in the office (which it would be handy if I could use it). Does anyone know what I would have to do to connect that unused socket to the main line in the house?

Sponsored Links
Is it a master socket which used to be connected to the 2nd line?

What type of cable does it have? Where does the cable come from? How close does the working phone wiring run to this location?

We'll really need to know some more details on the existing connections. Is there just a single telephone drop wire (usually black on modern installations) to the property, and can you see some other (most likely white) wiring running from one socket to the other? Or do you two separate drop wires?

Any chance of some pictures of two sockets opened up?

maybe this will help...

plug01.jpg

this is a shot of the single socket, this is the one socket that has a dedicated line.

In the house there are about 5 sockets (that are all on the same line) and this one, which the previous owners used as a business line.

it is this line that I want to link to the main 5 sockets (somehow).

I dont know much about this, my (off the top of my head) thinking was maybe there would be a junction box in the loft or something. But really I have no idea where this connection leads too.

Any tips on finding out would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
I goes in the direction it leaves the back box (I know it's obvious, but . . .). You need to connect this cable in parallel to the existing 5, or run a new cable from here to one of the existing points.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back