phone trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a problem with my house phones so help would be great.

I have 1 junction box in the hall that I need to feed 2 sky boxes my broadband and a house phone.

I have fitted a 3 way adapter, to the first socket I connected my adsl fiter (tried several so its working) for broadband and one phone line I've tried in various combinations.

Problem is I can get phone working with one other socket in use but when I try all three I lose a line. Is this to do with the REN or is there a way that they must be allocated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
It won't be a REN issue, where do you currently plug your modem/router in?

one of the 3 adaptor sockets I plug the adsl filter into that and the modem and line into the filter

Sponsored Links
You need to plug the ADSL filter in FIRST then the 3 way adaptor. Ideally i would replace what you have with an NTE5 and NTE200 ADSL faceplate then run your extensions off that(no need for plug in filters then).

Thanks tried that but no joy, I'm thinking there may be a problem with cabling. If I try the ADSL filter 1st then use 2 new cables to each sky box and the 3rd socket for the phone is there any reason this should not work. I've any amount of filters so all cant be faulty.

Thanks again in advance

That would work but you would be better off replacing the socket you are plugging the ADSL filter into with one of these (assuming it isn't one already) :-

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/BTsocketNTE5.html

Then fit this centralised ADSL filter to the NTE5 :-

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/xte2005cloneadslfaceplate.html

& then use CW1308 cable to run to standard secondary sockets for the devices you want to plug in(there is then no need for filters on the extensions).

Hmmm

That's the way I have it set up but no joy. As I said if I have the ADSL line the phone and one other line to a sky box connected bingo but as soon as I insert the last line the phone cuts off, I've tried all permutations. could one of the cables be faulty I've ordered new cables anyway.

Is it a Sky box that causes it to go dead? Have you tried plugging the device that makes it go dead directly into the ADSL filter alone?

Hi

I have ran each cable to each room and tried 2 different phones in the cables all cables produce a dialing tone and phone works. Yes as soon as I plug in the last cable connecting sky the phone cuts out. It dosent matter what sky box it is or what cable Ive used.

I think I'm going nuts lol

So, you plug your ADSL filter & can get dial tone on the BT socket? You can then plug the 3 way adaptor in and get dial tone on each port? Yet when you plug 3 devices in (doesn't matter which port the final device goes in?) you lose dial tone on all 3 extensions?

Have you got 3 wired telephones you could plug into each port on the triple adaptor? Only thing i can think of is a line fault? Do you have a multi meter you could measure the voltage accross the pair with so you can see what is happening when the 3rd device is plugged in?

Think I'll try and get hold of another phone try 3 phones as you say thinks thats the best plan. Thing is we are heading to Amsterdam this in a couple of hours and wanted the house phone working to check up on the nightmares while we are away I suppose having one sky box disconnected for a few days wont annoy sky too much lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back