Physics Puzzle

Sponsored Links
after watching the video i'd say that it will definately take off :eek:

more disturbing is that harold shipman was flying the plane :eek:

After watching the video it will not take off if the plane was on a conveyor.

If you stand a toy car a combi boiler or a jumbo jet on a conveyor it will move at the same speed as the belt.

In the video the weight is on the ground, all be it has a large dust sheet under the wheels :LOL:

Diyitall wrote

The wheels have to turn balski or the plane don't go forward

And turn they will. :rolleyes:

Not if the no forward movement balski.

The thrust of the engines provide's forward movement unless the plane is anchored down.

Very simple balski it doesn't matter if its impossible or not, the plane is stalled and not going anywhere.

Not going anywhere ?.
The wheels have bearings in them.
This link below explains in simple terms what a bearing is ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_bearing

Sponsored Links

After watching the video it will not take off if the plane was on a conveyor.
It was on a conveyor

If you stand a toy car a combi boiler or a jumbo jet on a conveyor it will move at the same speed as the belt.
the wheels will, not the plane

In the video the weight is on the ground, all be it has a large dust sheet under the wheels :LOL:
but the plane moved forwards not backwards even before it had started to use its propellor thrust, according to your previous post it should have gone backwards which it didn't.

If you stand a toy car a combi boiler or a jumbo jet on a conveyor it will move at the same speed as the belt.the wheels will, not the plane

but the plane moved forwards not backwards even before it had started to use its propellor thrust, according to your previous post it should have gone backwards which it didn't.

If I go to Tesco and buy a plane, then stand it on the conveyor belt, it will travel to the checkout, but the wheel are not turning, Why should your plane be any different.

The surface is moving, the plane is in the same spot all the time.

In the video the plane is not on a conveyor

The OP wrote

The aircraft moves in one direction, while the conveyor belt moves in the opposite direction.

Diyitall wrote

If I go to Tesco and buy a plane, then stand it on the conveyor belt, it will travel to the checkout, but the wheel are not turning, Why should your plane be any different.

Read the original post and you might have a clue. :rolleyes:

If you stand a toy car a combi boiler or a jumbo jet on a conveyor it will move at the same speed as the belt.the wheels will, not the plane

You are quoting me as saying all the above when a lot of it was what you said, this is confusing to others reading this thread

If I go to Tesco and buy a plane, then stand it on the conveyor belt, it will travel to the checkout
If it was still in its box id agree

so are you saying the plane in the video was a VTOL plane?? It took off so how was it stationary then?

11 pages and counting.................... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Tim, I think you should now be familiar with the words,
Head, wall, and Bang.............. :LOL:

Tim, I think you should now be familiar with the words,
Head, wall, and Bang.............. :LOL:
:LOL: I think the Diynot servers HDD must have a deep groove in one particular sector considering the times this topic has been done on here and thats without any friction contact :D

An aircraft is standing on a very long runway that can move (a conveyor belt). The aircraft moves in one direction, while the conveyor belt moves in the opposite direction. This conveyor belt has a control system that tracks the aircrafts wheels speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor belt to be exactly the same as the wheels, but in the opposite direction. There is no wind. The pilot begins to add thrust to the engines...

Will the plane ever take off?

The original question for you balski.

the plane is standing on the runway waiting for the ok to take off.

The problem we have is the runway is moving at takeoff speed say 100mph.

I'm sure at this point you will agree anything stood on the runway will be moving at 100mph, bit like the plane on the back of a lorry doing a ton up the middle lane of the M1.

The pilot starts the engine, and has to do 100mph just to stop going backwards.

doitall";p="901842 said:
An aircraft is standing on a very long runway that can move (a conveyor belt). The aircraft moves in one direction, while the conveyor belt moves in the opposite direction. This conveyor belt has a control system that tracks the aircrafts wheels speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor belt to be exactly the same as the wheels, but in the opposite direction. There is no wind. The pilot begins to add thrust to the engines...

yes

I'm sure at this point you will agree anything stood on the runway will be moving at 100mph.
No, would a ball move or just roll?

This discussion has been very useful, in revealing the difference between those forum members who can think logically, and those who can't.

If it was still in its box id agree

If you mark a cross under the toy, when it gets to the checkout it will not have moved. even if you throw the box away, to get back to the end of the conveyor, it will need more speed than that of the conveyor belt

The original question for you balski.

the plane is standing on the runway waiting for the ok to take off.

The problem we have is the runway is moving at takeoff speed say 100mph.

I'm sure at this point you will agree anything stood on the runway will be moving at 100mph, bit like the plane on the back of a lorry doing a ton up the middle lane of the M1.

The pilot starts the engine, and has to do 100mph just to stop going backwards.

You have taken the OP's question and re-arranged it completely out of context.
Just reading through this jumble I have seen that Spacecat has given a good explanation .
Though being a physicist he ought to. ;)

What are your credentials diyitall on the subject ?.

Sponsored Links
Back