Pick and mix kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we’ve had a few kitchen designs done and like different aspects of a few of them. I’m planning on getting supply only and fitting the kitchen with my kitchen fitter neighbour. However, what I’m wondering is, can units from different suppliers be used without issue. For instance, corner units from Wickes, tall larder from elsewhere, wall cupboards from another... that sort of thing.

I’m guessing (hoping) here, and wonder if the carcass is standard size and you can fit the drawer pack from one supplier in the carcass from another supplier. And as long as doors, drawer fronts, end pieces, spacers, plinths etc all match (from the same supplier/range) then you’re good to go?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
In the main, yes, but there are exceptions - notably,but not exclusively, Ikea. A "standard" base carcase is 570mm deep x 720mm high with various widths (150, 300, 400, 500, 600, 800, 1000 and 1200 being "standard" widths). Upper cabinets, however, do vary slightly more in depth, although widths are exactly the same as for base cabinerts.

Thanks for the reply, I don’t think we’d be doing Ikea so don’t need to worry about them but good to know what to look out for on the dimensions.

If you mix and match then ensure you have dimensions for every unit before you purchase to ensure they will marry up, though beats me why you cannot get all from one source , easier to get a discount and far less hassle .You doors will have to be from one source and you may then have to move hinge positions as differing supplier mount hinges in slightly different positions.

Sponsored Links
I've seen a B&Q kitchen where the larder unit didn't match up with the tall cabinet, and ended up with a 2" difference on the wall cabinet heights, so I hate to think what you might end up with; it can be done, but it's a recipe for disaster. As Foxhole points out, not all carcases and hinges will match up, and they'll then look messy when you open the door. Which suppliers are you considering, and why do you need to mix and match, and have you got a kitchen layout that you can post.

Drawer pack from one supplier might not fit another's carcass depending on whether both carcasses are made from the same thickness wood. Thicker wood equals lesser inside dimension.

Rather than asking this idea on this forum your'd be better asking your (presently) friendly kitchen fitter neighbour if he's prepared to do it.
I expect that different suppliers kit will have different hinge spacings, even if they use the same hinges, and have different internal heights and depths. Some suppliers include door and drawer fronts others don't.

For the best look (important to SWMBO) and easiest fit pick one supplier and use their products in the main.

e.g. When I did our new kitchen I used the cheapest units including the drawers from B&Q, worktop & sink from Wickes (due to best price), splashback from a local company. Doors and drawer fronts I made myself (mainly as SWMBO wanted a certain finish and 'to the ceiling' high level cupboards.

Thanks for the replies, I will say that hinge position and carcass thickness are things that I hadn't considered, so thank you for mentioning them. I think these points alone make this more work than its worth!
The reason I've been looking at different suppliers is because we like different aspects of each design. Some have nice open corner units, whereas others have 2 carcasses together to make an L shape, some have rounded corner units, others don't, it's this sort of things that will define who we chose as the supplier. But I think having this feedback has confirmed that we'll just use 1 supplier for the units, doors and drawers.

Thanks everyone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back