Picture of the week!™

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well folks, it's that time again!

This week, some 1000V insulated cable shears.

A former colleague of mine was doing something particularly stupid.

Here is the result

IMGP2824.jpg

IMGP2825.jpg

IMGP2828.jpg

A 16mm² now fits just nicely :eek:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It takes a bit more than 60A to pop a service fuse instantly, could have been something daft like 3000A flowing in the circuit for an instant.

"With a name like yours, you should really try to understand what happens during a short circuit "

Im all ears awaiting your description

Appears I am not going to get an education today.

My postings have been made in a light hearted mode with some knowledge.

The picture show the cutters against a piece of 16mm and my assumption being that this is how they were damaged. This would have been the load current of the circuit and the 60A was a jocular figure as was the reference to welding, as a welder would have a good idea of the effect of different currents.

The comment "With a name like yours, you should really try to understand what happens during a short circuit" can only be retorted to by "you really need to understand how a short circuit happens", certainly not by cutting a single conductor (':D') : (';)')

May not have been a short circuit.

Similar damage could occur if it was a single conductor cut while carrying a large current. The cut ends would arc via the tool and erode themselves and the tool until the gap was large enough to quench the arc.

A short circuit can easily be caused cutting a single live conductor ,especially if the side of the tool is touching the metal earthed casing or a neutral bar at the same time , which from the pic may have been the case

Probably make a good stripping tool now at least for 16mm's ;)

I think he may have cut through the phase and neutral conductor simultaneously ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back