Picture of the week!™

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well folks, it's that time of the week again!

This week we have a plumber who didn't know how to set the depth stop on his circular saw.

IMGP2773.jpg

Yup, 3 cables damaged in one go :evil:

Sponsored Links
I think it was from the short.

The cable sheaths were fairly well charred too.

BS3036 fuses, so it may have been fizzing for a bit :LOL:

How did you go about repairing that?

I would if I could replace each section of cable if this was not possible I would go with crimps heatshrink but this also introduces a second problem. If there is not enough slack you would end up crimping in extra cable to overcome this. Crimps been maintatence free would be the ideal solution. I would not use a junction box. I would prefer not to joint if the cables were accessable enough to replace.

How did you fix it RF?

Adam

Sponsored Links
I'm struggling here... I know it was common 50 years ago to put cables immediately under floorboards. But surely not currently allowed. So I wonder if the plumber quip is that smart. Surely an electrician put cables in a dubious location.

As a matter of interest, was this allowed then?

Looking at the staining on plaster board I wonder if he'd hit water pipe at sometime

I'm struggling here... I know it was common 50 years ago to put cables immediately under floorboards. But surely not currently allowed. So I wonder if the plumber quip is that smart. Surely an electrician put cables in a dubious location.

Looking at the blade marks on the floor board I would guess it was protruding by at least a good inch :D

I'm not sure I understand your statement. Notching on joists is still allowed and that tends to encourage the cable to rest nearer the surface (underside) of the floor boards.
Good practice encourages protection plates on the joist to prevent floorboard nail damage.

How could an electrician ever account for the prospect of a trade guy opening up a floor with the saw set beyond a 22-25mm stop depth ?

It's probably just a misapprehension on my part. Everyone, including many DIYers, is familar with safe zone diagrams for walls.

Are you saying then that the whole of the floor and ceiling are great big safe zones? Or do the normal rules relating to 50mm from surface apply?

(This is a serious question)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back