Picture of the week!™

Yes and there will probably be more in the fuse carriers. You would no doubt also find PCBs in the oil filled switch, etc, etc.

However, not to worry - it was safe in those days :D.

Sponsored Links
We had resistances to things in 'them good old days'! :LOL:

Some people are just too 'healthy' for their own good these days!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cracking pictures by the way RF. Thanks for sharing them.

Nice picks RF, love the 'thingy' can just see the 'Hunchback' cranking it round.

Find any 'Gentlemans' reels knocking around ;)

Have you reported the Asbestos? I 'discovered' some in a cut out that was 'mysteriously' open last week, 30amp fuse christ only knows what type :rolleyes:

Put me in mind of an old 'continuity set' I saw some years back. That had a 3 phase motor driving a DC generator via a dirty great flywheel half set in a pit in the floor. Idea was, in the event of a power cut, the flywheel kept everything spinning for long enough for the backup diesel engine to fire up, run up to speed, and then engage the clutch on the end of the shaft to take up the drive to the same generator befort the whole lot ground to a halt.

Sponsored Links
I believe the "thingy" is a rotary adjustable transformer
A DC faceplate starter has several contacts joined together with resistances (wire wound)and a wiper arm you start with all the resistance in series and as the motor starts to run you gradually keep turning the handle of the wiper taking out resistance as you go, the difference with the one shown is you cant see if it has a hold on electro magnet at the low resistance end or not, maybe an earlier version which relied on friction or spring contact to hold the handle at a particular position? although this may be in reverse to control the DC out? so wouldnt need a hold on contact. Could be a DC exciter for the generator?
Mind you all guesswork from photos without a circuit diagram to go by.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back