Pictures: Problem with gas central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I hope I've come to the right place. As the heading says my gas central heating is not working as it should. I have very little knowledge of gas central heating. I have two problems really:

I have tried to take pictures of the system:
http://www.geocities.com/mccabecathal/1.html
The heating system error light starts flashing sometimes after the system has been running for a while, sometimes when you try to start it. Normally a reset fixes this, but it happens quite often.

I have a timer unit that when the heating should be on, lights up, and presumeable should turn on the heating system. When it changes from off to on, there is a clicking sound like a relay switching maybe? But the heating system doesn't always fire up.

I think the problem is that the pressure (of the gas?) is too low the guage is reading at the very bottom of the scale. I know that this guage has read a lot higher and seems to have been reduced to nearly the bottom, and as it has the frequency of my problems has increased. Or there is air in the system? Can the air be bled? Or how can the pressure be increased? is there a valve I can turn? I don't want to play about for obvious reasons.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Sponsored Links
sorry to say this but at 23.41 your picture links are unavailable unless it is just me?

mmm someone dont know how to link images here...

I have "sussed it " its the url that is wrong, cathalmccabe, take the .jpg off each line they then work. If you go to your post and click the edit button you can do this, rather than reposting, you then need to put
after the link (that is for each one)

(it does say on this froum that . jpg should be used but geocites sites its different. )

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I think I have the pictures fixed now, so that when you click the link it opens them in a new page.

I tried fixing it so you could just click on the pictures, but it must be a geocities thing, cause it just would not work!

I doubt if the gauge you refer to is for gas pressure.
I would guess you have a combi boiler which needs the water on the central heating side to show a pressure of about 1.5 bar.
Any small leaks on the central heating side will result in the lowering of the pressure and so will bleeding the radiators.
To restore the pressure you have to fit a filling loop ( flexible tube) and open the filling loop valve very slow, water from the mains supply transfers through the loop through a non return valve in to the boiler till you reach the desired pressure. If you overdo it and the pressure gets to 3 bar then there is a pressure relief valve that will open but is not guaranteed to seal properly afterwards.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Geocities are not allowing external links INTO the site, it now says theat you have used your data transfer quota oh well I tried :cry:

Cant get your pictures so whats the make and model of your boiler.the guage should be asysem pressure guage and nothing to do with the gas ,as said it should read between 1 & 1.5 bar if its a seald system, you should have a top up point/filling loop somewhere near the boiler which you can use to get the pressure back up.

you can't do that, the poster has used all their data transfer quota (which is what i said 3 posts ago)

A shame, because it was working earlier and thought we might get away with it before the data transfer quota used up.

JUST SEEN YOUR PICS, at the top of the red pressure vess yo will see a silver braided hose,the end at the vessel is a non return valve,dont use that but at the other end is a ballofix valve ,to turn it on you will see a screwdriver slot, accross the pipe is of (present position) in line or part in line is on .turn slowly with a screw driver and you will here the water start to flow, shut off at 1 to 1.5 bar on the guage,then see how it runs. make sure the valve is shut off when finished.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

Thanks very much for the advice COG, I've got it sort now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back