pierced pipe with scalpal blade!! - how to repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a freak accident where I dropped a scalpal blade (with handle) which pierced a 15mm rad pipe. The hole is minute but is sending a fine squirt of water skyward. Can I repair without draining down. What are my options. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
my 2 p worth

no, you will have to drain it down (or at least empty this part of the pipe)

reason, if you want to solder it, the water will cool the pipe down.

if you want to fit a compression joint, you will need to cut the pipe and.....

Ta Breezer. Could I run the solder direct onto pipe and down hole or do I have to cut and fit a straight soldered connector. I presume I could turn rad off either and and drain local pipe?

If it really is that fine then just solder straight over it.

After its drained of course.

Sponsored Links
you dont want any solder "down the hole" it will block the pipe, as rob884 said it must be drined (for reasons i have mentioned)

I have soldered joints for my "projetcs" (i am not a plumber) and when the end of a pipe is wet the water boils off before the solder will "take" so if your pipe is full of water, nothing is going to happen, hence it must be drained :cry:

ok thanks - I will drain down! Breezer - when I say 'down the hole' I am talking smaller than a pins diameter. I would assume a spot of solder would do it - maybe not enough to cause a blockage. If I cut the pipe-it is fixed 1ft either way through wall - i am not sure if I could get a fitting on.

fingers crossed then, and dont forget the steel wool and flux

Faced with a larger hole in a pipe and a need for a very quick fix I cleaned the pipe and tightly wrapped bare copper wire ( earth wire from cable ) round the pipe over the hole and then soldered this. That temporary repair was 25 years ago and is still there.

It also works for pipes split by frozen water.

now thats a novel idea, i like it, but i bet the plumbers don't

I have used that technique for repairing pipes holed by screws and nails under floorboards where there is no end float in the pipes or a coupler would be more difficult.

Tony

Drain down & solder. Warm the pipe to evapoate water before you attempt the repair otherwise the steam will keep 'blowing' the hole as you solder. The solder should be enough, although I might be tempted to enlarge the hole only marginally to allow flux access and aid solder flow.
I fixed a rad in my bathroom using solder about 25 years ago after it had been holded by a axe; it's still as tight as a fish's a*se.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back